Thursday, February 10, 2011

Plan A.

Yesterday, my schedule called for my first speed workout of this training cycle: 3 x 1 mile at 5k pace, with 1 mile warm-up and 1 mile cool-down.

I thought (worried) about this workout all day. Not a good sign . . . 

At my son's 4-month check-up (16lbs, 25in -- big boy!), I thought about the run. Driving home . . . the run. Eating lunch . . . the run. All afternoon . . . the run. Obsessed? Maybe a little.

I just couldn't get it out of my head. Could I do it? Could I run full mile repeats? I like speedwork but I normally keep my repeats to 400s -- short and fast. Anyone can hold a fast pace for a quarter mile. But a mile takes a little something extra. Add in the fact that I had to cut two runs short last week because of my hamstring and, I admit it: I was nervous.

So I started to plan. Or, re-plan, I should say. I'll run 5 x 800 instead. I can handle that. I worked it out on paper and thought it looked good. Hmm . . . maybe just 6 x 400. Fast. I worked that one out and then . . .

What in the what?!?! Was I really working out a Plan B AND a Plan C this early in the game? My first speed session and I was throwing in the towel?

Um, no.

I got it together. I laughed at my foolish self and decided to take my own advice and  live my Plan A. I have a training plan for a reason. The workout is on it for a reason. There's no way I can reach my A goal for the half marathon if I don't go after it. How many more shots am I going to get? Who knows? I mean, honestly, who knows what tomorrow will bring so why not go after your Plan A today?

So, I ran those mile repeats. All three of them. And afterward I felt wiped but strong. This training cycle isn't supposed to be easy and I can't wimp out.

Seven and a half weeks to go.

Bring it, Plan A.

~ Felice

15 comments:

Marlene said...

Mile repeats are serious!!! I sometimes catch myself wimping out of a workout before I've even attempted it... good for you taking it head on!

GoddessLibrarian said...

So inspirational!! That's awesome.

Momma Mel said...

I love "training cycle isn't supposed to be easy". You are so right, you can't get your A race by training for the B.
Great Job!

Nobel4Lit said...

Sounds intense... I'm sick right now, do definitely no mile repeats for me! I would love to get some in before my race, though!

ann said...

Awesome! So glad you did it. Always worth it - and you must feel so great!

Carlee said...

Congrats. It's so tough sometimes to stop planning. I know I do that all the time, when I shouldn't be worried about what if. I should just concentrate on getting it done!

J said...

Great work sticking with the plan! Mile repeats scare me too!! But once they are done the feeling of accomplishment is awesome!

Suzy said...

So glad you stuck with it. I love 1K and mile repeats for half marathon training.

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Awesome mile repeats. I have totally spent an entire morning rethinking my planned run. Not sure why we do that =) I always find I am stronger than I give myself credit for. And you did the same!!

misszippy said...

Way to get it done! The next one will be (mentally) easier. I love mile repeats...so much nicer than quarters, if you ask me!

mandjfrey said...

Nice Job!!! So proud of you!!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

way to go! seriously mentally getting ready for speedwork is my biggest issue... so i'm hoping that as i get in a grove it will just be another workout

Katie said...

Hey, I didn't realize you had an infant! My littlest one is 5 months! I'm running a half marathon on Sunday...I'm a little nervous.

I have always gotten ridiculously nervous for speed work. I think about it all day, it gives me stomach aches, and I usually feel sick afterward. For this reason, I usually stick to tempo runs. I'm not sure why, but they don't make me nervous.

Nice job sticking to your plan!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I am learning to love (not quite there yet) mile repeats!! Good luck in your training HR!!!

TiffersRunsTX said...

Girl, I KNOW I've been there so many times! Trying to persuade yourself because of fear is the worst feeling. This does make me feel better, though, I'll admit. Now I know I'm not the only one, lol! GREAT JOB!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...