Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Double digits.

Last week I ran 12.8 miles.

It doesn't sound like a lot. Until, that is, you consider that I ran a whopping 18 miles in the month of May and (count 'em!) 7 miles in June.

So, 12.8 in one week? Outstanding.

Even more outstanding is the fact that they felt pretty good. Sure, I still run every step with the overwhelming fear that I am going to re-tear one of my hip muscles. And, no, my hip does not feel 100%. I know I'm not totally healed.

But I'm running. And that, my friends, is a win, whether I'm 100% or not.

12.8 miles. Those miles have made me wonder. You know, I'm registered for the Mohawk-Hudson River Marathon in October. Can I run it? Two weeks ago, I'd written it off. Now? Well, now, I'm not sure. I'm mostly convinced that trying to train for it is a bad idea and a sure set-up for another, potentially worse, injury. And, believe me, I don't want to go back on the disabled list. No, no, no.

And yet . . . I'm not 100% ready to write off the marathon.

I'll see what this week brings -- Sunday marks 12 weeks until the marathon. If I'm going to try for it, I have to start training then. This week will let me know if I should go for it or not.

Until then, I'm taking it one run at a time.


 

3 comments:

Amy Lauren said...

Great job on the running! Anything beats nothing. You were running marathons before and October is pretty far away, so I bet you could do a full then or at least a half. Probably not a PR, stellar, race but surely you could complete it. Just take it one day at a time and listen to your body :)

Darlene said...

I know I will be feeling the same way about the half.

42 a los 40 said...

Hi! I just ran into your blog and loved to know there's someone there that sound exactly like me!
I've been struggling with ITBS since last April and I finally could ran one hour with no pain. Taking one run at a time too.
Good luck!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...