Thursday, April 9, 2009

Running gadgets.

I've been looking forward to today's Take it and Run Thursday at Runners' Lounge, thinking that writing about a specific topic is just what I need to shake the blogger's block.

So, off I went to the RL site this morning and the topic is running technology tips -- how to select, buy and use your favorite gadgets.

Sigh.

I am not a gadget girl. I have no Garmin. No heart rate monitor. No Nike plus, no ipod, no iphone, no ianything. I do have a Nike sport watch that my brother and his (now) wife gave me in 2004. It has tons of features! I can't tell you about them, of course, because I only use the basic timer. But I can tell you that it is slick. Slick like 2004, but slick nevertheless!

So you may wonder how I know the length of my runs. Do I kick it totally old-school with paper maps and a ruler? Well, no. I'm not that out of touch. I visit that gmaps site to compute the distance of my routes and I actually really like it.

And I keep track my runs using the most awesome website: Running Ahead. Back in the day, I tracked my runs on CoolRunning but then they were purchased by some other company and everything changed for the worse so I moved all of my data over to Running Ahead. It is the best. And, since it is a website, it counts as technology. Running technology that has helped improve my running. So that's my tip: Go to Running Ahead. The service rocks!

Speaking of running, I had a speedy workout last night. I tried something a little different this time: Warmed up and ran at a moderate pace for 2 miles, then ran 1 x 800 @ 7:30 pace, 2 x 400 @ 7:24 pace, 4 x 200 @ 7:00, 6:54, 6:48, 6:42 pace. I cooled down for a half mile. Since I tend to start out too fast when I race, I'm trying to start my speedwork slower and increase my speed so I'm running the fastest at the end.

I'm all about yoga tonight.

Have a great day, everyone!

~ Felice

20 comments:

kara said...

No iPod! I'd be lost without my tunes.
Nice post : )

Denise said...

I'm with you...I didn't like today's topic too much either because I can't relate!

Heather said...

I was a no-tech girl until I got my Garmin for Christmas - now I can't live without it (but I know I'm not using it for most of the things it is capable of).

Nice speed work!

Aileen said...

Holy crap, that's some speedy speed work! Good work...and I wish I could be less technologically dependent. I'm soooo not a Zen runner!

Anonymous said...

No tech girl here too! Thats what I wrote for TiaRT as well!! Just a simple wrist watch for me :)

Rookie on the Run said...

I love gadgets! Unfortunately, they cost money... so I don't have too many running gadgets(yet).

I'll take a look at Run Ahead. Right now I'm using LogYourRun and MapMyRun but I'm always looking for something better. Thanks!!

Mark said...

Great job! Have to have tunes!

J said...

That looks like a great speed workout. I use cool running (now Active.com) and I just hating it right now but i dont want to have to lose everything by starting over on a new site : (

Lindsay said...

i used to use coolrunning too! it was perfect to me... hated the switch (plus it lost all my data! ARGH) so i abandoned ship as well. stupid active.com. i moved to mapmyrun but then just made my own spreadsheet for logging info.

nice job on the intervals! you are certainly not alone in the 'going out too fast' category.

Aron said...

awesome job on the speedwork!!!

sheesh i guess i am too addicted to all my gadgets :)

X-Country2 said...

Great speedwork!

I'm with you on the anti-gadgets. Garmin Shmarmin!

Marlene said...

I am in awe of those of you running sans-gadgets. I'm such a slave to my watch. :\

Nice speedy workout! I may have to copy that one in my mission to 23:00. :)

Have a great weekend!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i think it's pretty neat that you keep it simple... I think I probably wouldn't even have started running if it wasn't for gadgets! :D

Anonymous said...

I gotta have my tunes - I don't know how you run long without an iPod! But I'm with you on the rest, and I use buckeyeoutdoors.com to map my runs and log my stuff.

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I've a Garmin addict. But at least you're tracking it!

I know people who just go out and run, and have no idea. I don't get it :)

raulgonemobile said...

I do like the easy tracking that a Garmin provides, but I can understand wanting to be free of the technology..

Alisa said...

I heart all of my gadgets though I gotta say when I do my track workouts (of which I've done only one), I ran on feel not on my watch. I didn't look at my splits until post run.

I use Gmaps Pedometer all the time when I take the dog for walks.

mizuno wave said...

Thanks for sharing this!
I like gadgets too! :)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Anonymous said...

It`s really interesting to reed. But all thk about other. Why so?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...