Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rolling two times.

You know what I did? I shook things up completely.

In my last post, I wrote about rolling with it. After I pressed "publish post" though, I started to think a little more. Danger! Danger! And while doing that thinking, I wondered why I couldn't be 15 minutes late or why I couldn't forgo blow-drying and straightening my hair. I mean, sometimes, shouldn't running come first?

Well, yeah, it should. I'm the queen of flexibility when it comes to running -- I run around my life and that more-or-less works. But, yesterday, after thinking for a while, I decided that I was going to roll with it in a different way.

As soon as Owen got home from work, I headed out for a second run. Second run! Twice in one day! I don't know -- I just felt the need to shake off the cruddy run right away. I didn't want to wait until today, so I didn't.

It was a short, quick run and it worked. I felt TERRIFIC! Granted, after the run I was rushed and I didn't get a chance to do anything with my annoyingly frizzy locks other than pull them back in a ponytail and I was 15 minutes late to my 7pm event. But none of that mattered, it was all OK. The best part was that I had made an opportunity to run where I hadn't thought one existed.

And today's run didn't disappoint, either. An hour before I started my run there was a crazy hard downpour for about 15 minutes. When I was running, it was sunny and muggy but not bad at all. The wild thing about my run was that when I looked at the sky just east of my house, I could see a thick patch of gray clouds, surrounded by sparkling blue, sunny skies and from that patch of gray clouds, I could see sheets of rain pouring down. It was really, really wild. Sunny, blue skies all around, except for a clump of rainy gray.

Take what you want from that: Me, running under sunny skies, after the rain had past, watching it pour down someplace else.

~ Felice

23 comments:

Goddess Librarian said...

This is great. I'm glad you got your second run! And I love the last line. It's the perfect illustration of what I'm trying to do... you can choose to stay in the rain or you can get out there and find that sunshine. Excellent!

Miz said...

lovelove the post and closing sentiment as well.

Im borrowing it today I hope and applying it to my world of work.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

awesome :)

Lindsay said...

yeah felice! nice job on both runs. sometimes you just gotta get out and run a little, no matter how short.

Denise said...

Way to turn it around and make up for the crummy run!!

Oz Runner said...

nice job on the runs!

Anonymous said...

Way to shake off the bad run right away!

Unknown said...

way to work it in!

J said...

two times in one day! That is great! Glad the second one was soo good!

Heather said...

Great post. Love the mental picture of watching it rain on someone else. :)

Aileen said...

Very cool my friend, two runs in one day! Nice! And, way to shake off the tepid runs.

Marlene said...

Glad to hear you had two good runs to (more than) make up for the crappy one.

Great analogy with the rain cloud.

B.o.B. said...

I am impressed! A second run, good for you. I bet it really helped to "replace" a yuck run with an awesome run. I may try that sometime.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Rolling with it and beating the clouds.. Makes me think of the Charile Brown character with the little storm cloud above his head. You ran and ditched the storm cloud. Good for you!!

There are days when 2 runs are NEEDED!!!

Aron said...

yay nice job on the double and leaving that bad run behind :)

Vava said...

Way to fit it in when you felt like it! Twice in one day is hardcore for sure.

I Run for Fun said...

Great job on the double!

Stuart said...

Great post, we've had some crazy weather round here, watching it rain over there and looking at angel rays over here!

Quix said...

Love it! Would have never thought to do a second run in a day just to shake off a bad run, but great idea.

And I pretty much lived in ponytails or lazy updo's during my half training because it was 30 mins from coming in the front door to work for me!

Alisa said...

Nice job! I'm trying to add in a few two a days too. Want to make sure my bod can handle running when tired =).

Natalie D said...

Great job - 2 in one. Love it.

RunnerMom said...

Nice post. Yes, the best way to overcome a cruddy run is to get back out there again. I did the same thing on Saturday. After a dismal 5K, I came home and ran 4 more. The extra mileagee "redeemed" the bad race, at least a little.

We have to be eternal optimists as runners. We have to have faith the next run will be better and it usually is!

Middle-of-the-Pack Girl said...

We've had some very weird weather out here in Boston, too. I've wondered what I would feel like some days if I ran twice, now when the urge hits me, I just might do it.

I hope you took the following day off!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...