Thursday, April 8, 2010

Heat, an obvious tip, and camp!

It's been hot here. In fact, yesterday was 85 degrees and that is pretty hot for upstate New York in April. Tuesday wasn't quite as hot but it was very humid.

I ran both days and loved it. There is something about running in the heat that I actually enjoy. Sure, by July I may be whining about the heat but right now I'll take it. My body warms up so much faster in the heat so I can get into my groove earlier in a run. Although the humidity knocked me around a bit on Tuesday, it felt good to have an easy run in a tank top and shorts. (Yes, I can still fit into my regular running clothes but I won't be able to for long!)

To adjust to the heat, I've been drinking more water during the day and making sure that I cool-down really well after the run. The cool-down is a relatively new development and I'm finding that it makes a big difference in my performance (such as it is these days). Since I'm running at about a 10/10:30-minute per mile pace these days (slower, obviously, when I run/walk with the running group), I've been cooling down with a 5 minute walk. Before the pregnancy, I would cool-down with a slow jog for a few minutes and then walk for one or two.

I guess the key to the cool-down is like everything in life: You do what works for you. Right now, walking works.

So that's the heat and the "tip."

Posting has been light and probably will continue to be. As I mentioned last week, I have a new project and seeing as it is something that actually pays, unlike many of my other pursuits, I need to make that a priority. Darn bills!

I did have a chance to write about a very cool sounding new running camp that will take place in Vermont this summer, however. If you've ever thought about getting some elite coaching for yourself and spending a week focusing on nothing other than improving your running, I'd urge you to check it out. The camp takes place in beautiful Jay Peak in the Green Mountain State and I'm sure it is a lovely place to run in the summer. I would totally be into it if I wasn't going to be 7 months pregnant at the time :-)

You'll find all the info on the camp here. Please let me know if you decide to attend! I want to hear all about it!

Have a nice day!

~ Felice

22 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I heard about that camp too. Sounds pretty fun. I'm jealous of your warm temps...

Jocelyn said...

its soooo hot! Yesterday run sucked for me!! Nasty. Although i do like the heat, I feel that April is a little too soon for us to be hitting 91

Tricia said...

yippeee for warm days!

Ewa said...

I complain about the heat when it hits 75F and here in CA we have no humidity. 85F would probably kill me. Or maybe if I stopped whining I could get used to it.

Sara Elizabeth said...

I'm with you, for some reason I just love running in the warm weather.
xx Sara

gmontalvo13 said...

try running in texas weather--we get four seasons in one week! :)

I Run for Fun said...

I am not a fan of running in the heat. We do get warmed up faster, though.

Wow...thanks a lot for info on the camp. I am seriously thinking of attending...sounds perfect. With all my running-related injuries lately, I have been wishing I could get some professional help!

Diana said...

Great tip! I'm with gmontalvo13...it's miserable doing things outside right now. Or even inside! I've had to turn on my AC and heat all in one day!

Molly said...

I am loving the warm weather too, especially the SUN!

That camp looks reeaaally cool!

Marlene said...

I'm going to try to embrace the heat this year. I think I let it get in my head which makes the run even worse. I'm hoping that my weight loss in the last year will help my body handle it better too.

Unknown said...

I embrace heat too...I actually like it! You motivated me to run in the heat today so I'm off to drink some water, thanks!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Ya gotta hate those bill! Have a great night :)

Heather said...

Glad you're still able to enjoy some nice runs in the heat. I love running in warmer weather too - it just takes a while to acclimate to it after a cold winter!

Liz Elindel said...

Cool downs are so important, but often forgotten.
Congrats on pushing through where most people would have given up and quit.

Keep chugging water!

L Finch

misszippy said...

I"m like you--I love the heat. I even like to run late afternoon in mid-summer with all the Maryland humidity. I swear it makes me stronger and I KNOW I prefer it to winter!

J said...

Yes I am loving the warmer temps too because I feel more in the groove sooner! it really is great! Glad your clothes still fit too.

Quix said...

I like running in the heat too. Might just be that I did my first half marathon training (thus most of my first stretch of regular outside running) in April, May, and June last year. It just feels right and proper to be drenched with sweat and it's much easier to get myself outside than on those 40 or below degree days.

Now racing? I love about 45 degrees and cloudy at the start. It's hard to get motivated to go, but once I'm out there in the "cold" I'm faaaaaast.

The Laminator said...

The warmer weather is great, but too much of a great thing can be just a little too much, especially for running! We all need some time to get adjusted. Haha! Take care!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sounds like a fun camp! Stay cool!

Aileen said...

Awwww running camp! I'd totally go if it weren't for the darn bills here in Chicago ;)

Lindsay said...

cool down? i gotta talk myself into heading out for a run in 85* by letting myself walk a warm-up :) when i'm done i just want to go inside, sit down, and drink something cold!

that camp sounds fun. i have always wanted to do a running camp but haven't looked into any details yet. (usually i go on family vacation) have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Good day


Use http://www.BuySellDirect.net as a FREE home based ebay to make money at home. It is 100% free.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is what Ebay users need to save paying charges when they sell or not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...