Like most of you, I'm not big on making resolutions, choosing instead to set goals for the year. This year, I feel in some ways more certain of my situation (I know that I have a baby and a preschooler and there are no plans to add any other kids to this family, unlike last year) but in other ways I am less certain (how will I handle heavier training while nursing and not getting full nights of sleep?).
Well, nothing in life is truly certain so I've set my goals expecting for the best! Here's what I hope to accomplish in 2011:
- Run a half-marathon -- this one should be easy considering I'm planning to run a half in April. Now I just need to train . . .
- Look into becoming an RRCA certified coach and perhaps start the process this year -- depending on timing and location of the courses, I'd really like to do this. I loved training the moms to run their first 5k last spring and think I could make a decent running coach.
- Run masters strong -- to me this means training efficiently and intelligently, being smart about rest but also making sure that my hard runs are hard. There is no reason I can't set some PRs as a 40-year old and I will be going after them this year!
- Beat my 2010 Freihofer's Run for Women time at this year's race -- shouldn't be too hard considering I was almost 6 months pregnant when I ran it last year in 27:11!
- Run these key races:
- Winter Marathon Relay in February
- 13.1 marathon in April
- Mother's Day 3.5-miler in May
- Freihofer's Run for Women 5K in June
- Indian Ladder trail run in July
- EDITED TO ADD: Warrior Dash in August (thanks, Bridget!)
- Race for the Cure 5k in October
- Stockade-athon 15k in November
- Run 1000+ miles -- I just want to.
- Keep up with run-improving strength training -- I have a series of leg exercises that, when I do them regularly, improve my form and help me avoid injuries. I want to do them regularly all year and add in upper body work, too.