Thursday, January 12, 2012

Getting smooth.

At some point this fall I jumped off the smoothie wagon. Don't know exactly why -- I love my smoothies, after all -- but that's what happened. 

Once I was off the smoothies, I feel like the rest of my eating followed suit. I never fell into the category of terrible eater but I could tell that I just was not eating as well as I should have been. With the start of the new year and new training plan, I'm resolved to get my eating back on track and the first thing that I'm doing is getting back on-board the smoothie wagon.

I love my smoothies! 

Especially . . . 

Vega Vanilla Chai + 1 frozen banana + 1/2c. frozen blueberries + 1/2c. water:


Vega Vanilla Chai Smoothie -- don't let the green color scare you. This smoothie is DELICIOUS!

And . . .

1 c. organic low-fat yogurt + 1 c. blueberries + 1 banana + 1c. water + chlorella:

Blueberry & Chlorella Smoothie
I've also been adding frozen strawberries to some of my smoothies, and using ground flax seeds in place of the chlorella sometimes. Keeping it fresh.

It's pretty cool how much better I feel when I start the day with a smoothie. It's great! I plan to keep it going. If you are what you eat then, for sure, I want to eat (OK, drink) a high-energy, healthy breakfast so I can be a high-energy, healthy running mama!

Do you have a favorite smoothie that you care to share? 


Have a great day, everyone -- it's almost the weekend! Yay!

~ Felice

16 comments:

Crystal said...

These look so good! I am trying to gather the courage to buy a blender and start making smoothies. I love them; have just never made them. I guess buying a blender in the long run would help the pocket book too. :)

macnic said...

Mine are very basic, frozen banana, berries, greek yogurt, protein powder, ground flax, fish oil, milk. I am thinking of starting to add some kind of greens or even greens + to them to round out some veggies.

Gillian said...

Actually, I just posted my own smoothie recipe last week. I've been having it for months now and it is DELICIOUS!!! And I was never one to have smoothies before. Quite an experience.

http://gilliansactivelife.ca/2012/01/11/my-smoothie-recipe/

JC said...

I've been trying to jump on this train, but i REALLY REALLY hate bananas. I need to find a substitute, and learn how to use my blender ;)

Melissa said...

This is so timely! I got a new blender for Christmas because I want to get into making more smoothies and I was actually thinking this morning that I needed to find some good recipes/recommendations for protein powder. Thank you for the post!

Felice Devine said...

macnic -- what kind of protein powder do you use?

Melissa -- I'm looking for protein powder recs, too. I've tried Gotein (http://thehappyrunner.blogspot.com/2011/06/gotein-review-and-giveaway.html) and like it. But, I'm looking for something that I can buy in more of a bulk package.

Kenley said...

I last summer would get the smoothie premade package by yoplate I think, and add some other stuff to it like milk and protien powder. After a long run, it's very good, and I don't find myself ravenous at night. That green smoothie likes interesting, but I am sure it's good. Take care.

Kenley said...

I last summer would get the smoothie premade package by yoplate I think, and add some other stuff to it like milk and protien powder. After a long run, it's very good, and I don't find myself ravenous at night. That green smoothie likes interesting, but I am sure it's good. Take care.

Nicole said...

My favorite smoothie is 2 cups baby spinach, 1 cup unsweetend almond milk, 1 banana and a half scoop of protein (vanilla or chocolate, depending on my mood). Yum!

Bridget said...

I keep meaning to drink more smoothies. I saw one on Pinterest that was a Banana oatmeal almond smoothie. It looked yummy! You should do a smoothie pinboard!

Karyn Murphy said...

I love smoothies .. I used to make them after dinner and have 1/2 then and 1/2 in the am! I loved it but like you stopped. So, I need to get back on the smoothie wagon, thanks for the rejoinder!! :)

justme said...

i love smoothies but as soon as it gets cold i don't have the desire ....too cold

quix said...

I usually do green yogurt and fruit, but if I do go smoothiefied for breakfast, it's vanilla protein powder, banana, pb, frozen cherries, mango, and pineapple. Yum!

Lindsay said...

these look good! haven't heard much of this chlorella.

Cindy said...

i totally want to start doing smoothies...need to get myself a magic bullet for work so i whip them up at the office! yours look delish!

Marlene said...

I used to eat smoothies often, until I developed a sudden allergy/sensitivity to bananas. I just can't get the right texture without them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...