Saturday, March 28, 2009

The ranty runner.

My run today was wonderful. I enjoyed running in shorts and a sleeveless top after months of layering against the cold, and I had to smile at the rooster that gave me a hearty "Cock-a-doodle-doo!" as I ran by. My legs and lungs felt good, which was a relief after my lousy run earlier in the week.

And yet, this is me:


I am ranty. The Ranty Runner. Full of comic book curses for a mean, mean lady in a silver minivan.

Let me explain. My run today included about 1.5 miles on a moderately busy road (I would say 10 cars passed me over those 1.5 miles). I'm pretty careful on that road, because I know there are more cars on it than there are on other parts of my run. So, I was running on the strip of grass on the other side of the shoulder from the road. In other words, I was not technically on the road.

So, there I was running along, about 6.5 miles into my terrific run when a mean lady in minivan, driving toward me, lays on her horn and gives me the WTF? hands.

The horn scared and shocked me: I think I jumped a little. Looking at her, I could see her mouthing, "Get off the road!" at me, as both her hands were off the steering wheel, waving in the air to show how utterly appalled she was.

Really, lady? Do you really think that it is smart to drive with your hands off the steering wheel while your kids are in the car? Do you think you're setting a good example for your kids who are in the car with you by honking and yelling at a runner? Really?

GAH! I so wanted to yell something back at her. Comic book curses, or something. Don't worry -- I didn't. I just continued along as if nothing had happened.

The thing is, I wasn't even on the road. I'm not oblivious to the fact that cars travel the roads so I make sure to hop off the road or shoulder whenever a car is coming toward me. When this mean, mean lady honked at me, I wasn't even close to being on the road. I was fully on the grass, so there was no need for her to yell, honk or give me the WTF? hands. That was overkill.

Grrrr . . .

Anyway, the run was great, no thanks to the mean, mean lady in the minivan (did I mention that she was mean?). 7.65 miles in 1:08:21, 8:57/mile.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

~ Felice

27 comments:

Bill Wallace said...

Glad you had a great run, even with "mean lady in minivan". I've decided that if anyone abuses me I toss my head back and laugh. They don't know what to do. I'm actually laughing at them but they may think I see the joke (if there could be one), or I've misunderstood them or I think they are a friend having some fun with me. Most times they drive off bewildered.

Keep running happy!

X-Country2 said...

Minivans nutbags are the WORST. I'm just trying to get my run on lady, I'm sorry I'm in your way.

Middle-of-the-Pack Girl said...

Oh Felice, I so know what you mean, and how that feels. I've had cars literally drive up next to me, and then they decide to lay on the horn, right as they are literally two feet away, I think, just to see me jump. Some of them, I do actually yell something at, some I do it only silently. I know you're in the northeast like me - this winter I've had to run on the roads rather than the sidewalks, which have been covered with ice, and snow, etc.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the people who turn out of driveways or parking lots, who are turning right, but never actually LOOK to the right before they pull out!

And no, that woman definitely did not set a good example for her kids!

Dr Wednesday said...

Maybe her husband was killed by a runner beside the road... no wait, that doesn't make sense. Ya, I got nothing. Glad your run was good.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

The only thing you did wrong was not give her the double-bird salute!

kilax said...

I am completely surprised someone would act that way. That would upset me so much. I am happy you were still able to enjoy your awesome run!

Heather said...

Great run. I would have had a hard time resisting giving that minivan lady the finger. How rude!

Lindsay said...

oooh i hate drivers like that! i always make sure i am in the clear whenever on a busy road or cars are passing. rar. way to be the bigger person - it is tough when people are such morons!

J said...

I have been in your situation! Drivers can be so weird and inconsiderate and just plain stupid! Glad the run went well even though that lady was mean!

Anonymous said...

Next time you should smile and tell her she is "#1"...in a special way! :-)

Denise said...

I probably would have done something not very "lady like" back to her. Good for you for taking the high road.

Abby said...

This is the problem with Americans today. Instead of seeing a runner on the side of the road and saying, "Wow, that's great that they're out there. Maybe I should go for a run," people scream and yell. And in the process, teach their kids that running is bad!

Glad you had a good time out, despite the obnoxiousness.

I Run for Fun said...

Sounds like a wonderful run.

Good for you on just ignoring her.

Anonymous said...

I'm a minivan mama, and every time we pass a runner, I point him or her out to my kids. I yield to bikers and make sure to tell kids why safe drivers give lots of clearance to pedestrians and cyclists.

But I suppose bad drivers reproduce, too.

Glad your run was good.

Marlene said...

OHHHH that makes me so mad. It happens a lot around here. :| I have had people get out of the caer to scream at me and this was on a residential street. CHILL, people.

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Stupid minivan lady. A couple weeks ago when we were doing hill repeats up a bridge (with a VERY wide shoulder), a Deer Park delivery truck honked just as he drove past us. Scared the crap out of me!

And yes, I have a cat named Jeter. Hubby and I are both originally from NY :)

Aileen said...

Are you kidding me?!?! You're a better woman than me...I'd have flipped her the bird and then some. What a total bitch.

Unknown said...

I hate mean drivers too! Great job on your run.

joyRuN said...

What a total b*tch!! At least the drivers around here just laugh at me.

merathon said...

RUDE! also, don't you hate it when you're trying to cross a street, but there's a car sitting there trying to turn right and they purposely avoid making eye contact with you so they can pretend they don't see you and turn in front of you?

MizFit said...

Man that would have scared the CR*P out of me were I running.
and Im with you on the comic book curses.
Id have wraggled my fist at her ala the 3 Stooges.

Lori said...

Glad you had a great run and sorry to hear about the ridiculous lady. Don't worry she was just insanely jealous that she can't make the time to reduce her stress, exercise and look incredibly hot like you. ;)

You are much better than I. Like Denise some "un-lady like" behaviors probably would have erupted from me. Poor unhappy people. They really need a lesson in community walkability and sharing the road. Don't let it get you down. You rock!

Mark said...

Great run! She deserved the bird! :)

Aron said...

grrrr is right! glad you didnt let that mean lady spoil your great run!!

raulgonemobile said...

You did better than I would have.. I'm sure I couldn't have contained my inner thoughts then.

Nice run!

Midwest said...

Sister, I hear ya. I've had that happen to me, too. And by the way, WTF Hands is a great desciption.

Sher said...

I've had that happen to me before. Once, while running during the dead of winter, in a snowstorm, I almost got run off the road by a clown who sped by me, and deliberately splashed me with slushy snow as he passed. As you may well know there is NO shoulder to run on in the snow. Oh, and there were no other cars on the road, so he could've easily gone around.
I just don't get people like that. Whatever happened to yielding to pedestrians?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...