Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Missing the run.

Some days, you need to run. Things haven't gone well, you're stressed out, you feel like a mud puddle. Your body needs to get out and run to re-set itself.

That was my yesterday. Only, without the run. I had the need to run but couldn't.

The short story is that my little guy decided to explode at the library. He didn't want to leave, so he threw a huge tantrum -- of the sort I have never, ever experienced before -- in the parking lot. He thrashed on the ground. He rolled under the car. He kicked. He used his super-human toddler strength to fight getting in the car seat. He went on and on for 45 minutes.

Do you know how exhausting and humiliating a 45-minute toddler tantrum is? Multiply your guess by 853 and you're close.

Well, it finally ended and all I could think about was how I could seriously use a run. I imagined hitting the road for a longish, slow run and how soothing that would be to my bruised psyche. Then I thought that maybe a good hard run would be the better option, to pound out my frustration as I pounded out the miles.

Either way, it would have been nice.

This Happy Runner, though, had no chance to run. I had work on the schedule for nap-time, then a meeting at 6:30 so my afternoon and night were taken. Sigh. Something about really, really, really wanting to run and not being able to made me appreciate running just a little bit more. Running can work wonders to improve a mood and yesterday I didn't have that. I missed it.

I'll be running this evening, no doubt. My hope for today, though, is that I don't need it in quite the same way as I did yesterday!

Hope you all have a tantrum-free day :-)

~ Felice

14 comments:

sian-girlgetstrong said...

YES!! I do know this feeling...I remember pinning my kid with my knee into his car seat at 2 becuz he was so darb strong! nothing like being stared at like you are the worst parent in the world...wish I had running outlet back than like you do now..never made the connection until later..still love getting your emails!!

Unknown said...

I hope your run is still spectacular tonight, you deserve it! Did he really tantrum under the car? That little stinker!

B.o.B. said...

And that is why I have a dog. (Well that and lack of a spouse. LOL!)

Sorry kiddo was having a rough day. I hope your run is awesome and I can totally relate to the need for a run.

Aileen said...

I'm told I threw a similar temper-tantrum when I was a toddler. My mom threw me in the car and let me thrash. As soon as I stopped, she opened the door and said "wait until we get home."

Apparently, no more tantrums after that!

Marlene said...

Oh wow, I can only imagine. Hope you can get your run on today... without any tantrums!

Suzy said...

I hope you have a tantrum free day. I know how those go. Isn't it amazing how strong those little bodies are when they don't want to be strapped into a car seat?

Have a better day today!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sounds like a rough day. You'll feel better after your run. Have a good one!

Unknown said...

I definitely know what you were experiencing...I can remember carrying my daughter to the car, from a store, and wondering if someone was going to call the police...since this child could not possibly belong to me...but you make it somehow...at least I have running now...I didn't then...hope today was better

Denise said...

This is why I can't have kids. I used to throw tantrums...I know the pay back would be hell.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Been there. I still remember...we were in Arkansas and had been travelling all day. We stopped to get food and then headed to the hotel. WE passed by the pool to go to the room. Blaine wanted to SWIM.. he was tired and hungry...I knew that but I could not convince him that he should eat before the pool. He BLEW UP! At the time I was not a runner...but I now know that would have helped me thourgh the stress..

Wendy said...

Running always helps after a day like that! Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Jennifer said...

Found your blog through Meg Runs, funny story, sorry for the tamtrum thing. Yikes! I don't know how I would handle that myself. Hope you got your run in, I know what that feels like! Cheers!

Diana said...

I'm so sorry! That's not good. I hope today you don't need it, but enjoy it all the same :)

Quix said...

Ooof, that sucks. I know when I have a bad day at work there is nothing better than a good run. I remember one day I was super stressed and injured which made me more stressed! Argh! Hope your day is better today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...