Thursday, October 13, 2011

Planning, planning, planning.

With just 12 weeks or so left in 2011, I'm looking ahead to my 2012 race schedule. So far, I've committed to running the Winter Marathon Relay in February with Suzy and Amanda for the 3rd year in a row. And Amanda has planted the Ragnar seed in my head -- especially since this year the New York relay will start in Saratoga (a mere 40 minutes from here) and end in Lake Placid. I pretty much have  to do it.

But what of other races?

I've had this almost secret goal of wanting to eventually run a 1:44 half marathon in order to secure a guaranteed entry to the New York City marathon. Right now I'm at 1:48:27. The next step is to get to 1:46 (which was my goal for the last half) and then see if I can get down to 1:44.

But -- and here's the kicker -- I don't have as much time to get down to 1:44 as I once thought.

If you haven't heard, the NYC marathon peeps changed the guaranteed entry guidelines and starting with entry for the 2013 race, I will have to run a 1:30 half marathon to gain a guaranteed entry.

1:30?!?! That's 13.1 miles run at a 6:50 pace. I'm not there. And don't think I ever will be.

1:44? I could potentially get there. But 1:30? Nope.

So . . . what to do? Try for a 1:44 this spring and (hope to) run NYC in the fall?

Or do I go after the holy grail? Do I run a spring marathon and see how close I can come to qualifying for Boston (I need to run 3:45 to qualify)?

Maybe . . . just maybe for right now . . . I should shoot to do both. Screw it!

I have a lot of thinking, soul-searching and planning to do. Not to sound like a commercial . . . but as I've started planning I've been using the Best Marathons guide, that Woody from Find the Best sent me over to check out. I like the idea of the tool and the easy-to-read display -- but I'd definitely like to see it post 2012 dates -- or even 2011 (right now it just has 2010). I'd also like to see the entry fee added into the display but I'll cut the tool some slack since it is in beta.

Anyway, for the next few weeks I am going to think, soul-search, and plan. I would like to have my 2012 schedule and some of my larger goals nailed down by early November so I can get moving on them. A 1:44 half marathon doesn't just happen! And, honestly, I would really run one of those.

Have you made your 2012 racing plans?


Thanks for reading!

~ Felice

10 comments:

Carrie said...

I've only started my plan for 2012. It's going to be an exciting year with my first half in April and my first full in October. I'm sure there will be a bunch more shorter races in between.

Good luck with your decisions!

Rachel said...

I have been trying to figure out what I want to do next year too. It gets harder every year to plan for the next year's races.

I think whatever you decide will be great. Maybe training for BQ will help you get that coveted 1:44 half. In the middle of marathon training this summer I pulled out a sub-2 half, something I wasn't even trying to do! :)

Good luck deciding! Can't wait to hear what you pick.

J said...

I can't believe they made the NYC auto qual times so tough! But I bet you can definitely run a 1:44 and get in for 2012! Go for it! I bet training for a marathon will help you get the 1:44 half!

Darlene said...

I think you can do 1:44...just sayin.

Darlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darlene said...

To add to the previous comment, you did 1:48 on a HOT, HILLY Half so if you find a flat spring one....

Nicole said...

I think you can go for the BQ and the NY guarantee, go big or go home!!
The only runs I have planned for 2012 are the Tinkerbell Half Marathon in January and a 5K in May. I plan to sign up for a few more 5 and 10Ks, a half in November and maybe a marathon at the end of the year. I want to do a mud run this year too.

Marlene said...

I hadn't heard about NYC - bummer, there goes my shot!

Liisa Vexler said...

If you decide to go after that 1:44 in 2012 (and I think you should), I would love to hear how you plan to attack those 4 minutes... I'm at a PR of 1:49:51 and pondering my next steps (leaning toward working on a new 10k PR to build speed and then go back to the longer distance).

Suzy said...

I know you have a BQ in you! But, I really like seeing the Feb race on your schedule. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...