Friday, October 2, 2009

The only thing left to do is run.

My race is tomorrow. I've been preparing for this little race of mine for six weeks and all that is left to do now is run.

Between now and then, I will not think about my failed tempo run on Wednesday (when it felt like my wonky toe was going to break in half so I had to stop running and then, later, my whole toe was swollen and sore). Nor will I think about how that failed run led to me not run yesterday, because I was petrified that my toe actually would break if I didn't watch out. And I'm certainly not going to think about the weather forecast (58 and rainy at start time tomorrow).

Nope. Not going to think about any of that.

Instead, I'll think about how prepared I am. How I ran some super tough speed workouts; how I put in the time and the miles and should see positive results when I cross the finish line. And I'll focus on my goals. I have three of them and they are:

A++ goal: 22:56 or better (otherwise known as a PR)
A goal: sub-23 (my main goal)
B+ goal: 23:26 or better (otherwise known as a post-baby PR)

I have no interest in a C goal. None whatsoever. B+ or better for this muthah runnah!!!

I feel like my goals are reasonable and achievable. Yes, it is true that my 5K PR of 22:57 was run waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I was a fleet-footed 32-year-old. However, I am wiser and more tenacious now. So, I think I can beat that younger Happy Runner.

And last year, I ran the same race on the same course and did fairly well. My stats:

2008 Race for the Cure
Finish time: 23:27
Age group (female 35-39) place: 2/139
Overall female place: 40/1450

Not bad.

Can I beat it? Can I beat it by 31 seconds? Twenty-eight seconds? One second? Can I continue to obsess and obsess and obsess about this a little more?

I'll know tomorrow!

Now, yay for Friday! I hope everyone has a terrific weekend -- especially those of you who are racing!

~ Felice

24 comments:

Manderz said...

Good luck Felice!!!! I feel that you are going to hit your A+++ goal! I wish I was running the race but I decided not to since my half is next weekend.

J said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! Hope you have a great race and enjoy it! Age doesnt matter its all about heart! I believe in you!

Diana said...

You are just going to do awesome, I know it :) I hope everything out of your control cooperates or doesn't matter!

busyrunningmama said...

YOU CAN DO IT, Felice!!!

You are a fast Muthah runnah! You go girl!! Can't wait for the post race results!!!!

Suzy said...

GL tomorrow!! You'll do awesome and are well prepared. Can't wait to hear about it.

To answer your question - I'm not running the Stockade-athon. I really want to but I have a huge exam that Saturday and we try to have one family day a weekend...so maybe next year.

Jen Feeny said...

Step away from the computer and BREATHE. You got this in the bag girl!!!! :) Eagerly await the recap.

Aileen said...

You can do it!!! You've done the work, and as you have wisely noted, you are a muthah runnah. Get. It. DONE!

B.o.B. said...

Oooooooh! Best of luck you speedy speedy lady! Woot woot!!!

Heather said...

Good luck! Hope you channel all your muthah runnah strength and kick some serious pre-baby butt!

X-Country2 said...

I'm doing Race for the Cure on Sunday, and those are pretty close to my goals too! Good luck!!

Croughwell said...

Good luck!!!!!!!

Marlene said...

GO MUTHAH RUNNAH!

Colleen said...

Good Luck Felice!

Chic Runner said...

I can't wait for you to crush it out there and return with great news! :) Good luck!

Charisa said...

Good luck in your race!

Ms. V. said...

Can't wait for the race report. Have a great time!

Oz Runner said...

cheering for you to get a PR!

Lindsay said...

good luck tomorrow!!! i love that the goals were adjusted to not include a C ;) get that pr you muthah runnah!

BeachRunner said...

Go get em!! Looking forward to the celebratory report of your blazing speed and all around ass-kickery. I know you will crush it hard, Fleaster!

The Laminator said...

Dear Happy Runner's Legs -

Can you behave and run speedy...
Just for this one race...
Thanks...

Lam

P.S. If not, can you just pretend you were mine...for 3.1 miles, say early tomorrow morning. We can switch them back later!

Unknown said...

Have a fun and productive race...PR girl!!

Abby said...

Go get 'em!

joyRuN said...

Your goals are so speedy!!

You're gonna rock :)

Anonymous said...

Did you do it? Get your PR? The suspense is killing me. I ran it -- not my best but considering how I felt I was happy with my time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...