Thursday, July 29, 2010

4.1.

Another milestone last night.

My friends, Bridget and Janis, who just started running in March are training for a 10K in October. They've run two great 5Ks and now they've set their sights on the longer distance. So, last night, they wanted to run a 4-miler -- their longest distance -- and asked me to run with them.

We set out around 8:20 and it was still about 85* and humid. We were sticky by the time we reached .25 miles. Yuck! As the miles ticked by, the sun set, the breeze picked up and the temperature dropped -- maybe a degree or two. Still hot but the humidity started to go away so it felt better.

By the end of the run, it was dark and we were a sweaty mess. Three hot (literally) mamas, 4.1 miles, one awesome run. It was the longest run that Bridget and Janis had ever done and they rocked it!

I know it was hard, and there were probably times when they felt like stopping. But I also know that they felt proud of themselves when they were done, as they should! I remember those feelings well: Struggling to extend my mileage and feeling totally burned out yet very accomplished at the end.

After the run, they made comments about not knowing how they'd get to the 6.2 miles but we talked about how they said the same type of thing when they were training for the 5K. They didn't think they'd be able to run 3.1 miles when they hadn't even run a full mile. And now, here they are running 4. Soon to be 4.5 and then 5 and then . . .

The funny thing (to me) about their training for this 10K is that it takes places 3 weeks after my due date. It feels weird to be talking about their race and how they will train and what the weather will be like and how they'll feel -- all while knowing that, at that time, my life is going to be so different. I may not yet be in post-preg running shape. I definitely won't be racing. Will I even be walking? Sleeping? Who knows!?! I may still be a hormonal mess, trying to just make it through the day.

Whatever, I'll be rooting for my pals on race day, whether in person or in spirit. Now, we've just got to stretch those 4.1 miles to 6.2! They can do it, I'm sure.

~ Felice

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Your due date must be starting to sneak up on you - WOW, so exciting!!!

Congrats to the mamas on their new milestone. New distances always seem so overwhelming at first.. even impossible... but we get there!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Helping out other runners is so fulfilling. Way to go hot mama!

J said...

Great job on the 4+ miles!! It is weird to think how your life will be changing while they are training for the race but I am sure you will be back walking and running soon after!

Lisa said...

It is pretty amazing to find out what we can accomplish. Hitting each mileage marker is a great accomplishment and you're giving them such great support and guidance!

Just wanted to note that your Blogher ad when I came to your site just now is for Friends of Maddie. I actually knew Maddie and she was an incredible little girl. I hope some of your readers will support the non-profit her parents established in her memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...