Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bloody run.

The upside is that I now have evidence that I have been running. The downside is that the evidence is physical. And a bit painful.

Let's start with the pain: The bloody, yucky chafing from my sports bra. Oh, yeah. Not good. I have about a 4 inch long chafed area on the underside of my right breast. It's no good. And you know what makes it worse? I'm breastfeeding. So, there's a lot of, um, action in that area and this chafing is not at all what I need.

I'd noticed a little bit of chafing a few runs ago, but it was nothing serious and didn't really bother me. Today? Well, today is a different story. I ran 5.1 (somewhat) speedy (for me) miles and, while doing so, my sports bra rubbed my skin raw. When I got back from my run it hurt a little. I went about my business until it was time to nurse my son and whamm-o! I sure noticed the bloody, raw chafed area then. Eek!

I've loaded it up with Aquaphor, hoping that it heals quickly. And, no. I will not wear that particular sports bra again.

Moving on . . .

After I fed my son, I took off my running shoes and saw this:


A bloody toe! Grrrr . . .

Not much pain there, just the blood. I believe that the nail from one toe dug into the side of another toe and made it bleed. There's a small cut but it doesn't hurt.

Sigh.

Aside from the chafing and the bleeding, my run was great. I ran progressively faster miles with my last 1.1 mile in 8:41 (7:53 pace, woo hoo!). And, I ran outside in shorts because it was sunny and brisk but not cold (mid-50s). Running in shorts in November is such a treat that it makes just about any run rock! Even those that end in blood.

Hope you're having a good, chafing-free day!

~ Felice

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wear body glide because I tend to get chaffing from sports bras.

Marlene said...

We are having similar weather and it is just fantastic! Every run feels wonderful!

I get the same chafing from my sports bras... nearly all of them do it over long distances so I use glide like crazy. Hope it heals quickly!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I chafed so bad when I was breastfeeding. Nothing helped - and I still have scars from the chafing I got last summer (I weaned my twins 2 months ago). Being flat chested does have advantages, lol.
That's a speedy run! :-)

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I'm terribly jealous that you got run today. I went outside at lunchtime and wished I could have been out for a run. We won't have weather like this for a while.

Bummer about the toe and the chafing. Time for some Bodyglide?

run4may said...

Great run! You know it's a good run when your pace gets progressively faster.

Nej said...

I was behind a woman at the half marathon in October, who had sports bra chafing issues. Her whole shirt was an awful red. She was smiling, but I know it couldn't have felt good at all. Ouch!!!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sorry about the toe and chafing, but yay for body-glide (next time!), shorts in November and fast finishes!

Unknown said...

Oh, thank goodness for Body Glide. I've had the chafing problems, but I think I've finally found the right sports bra to prevent it most of the time. Good luck! (Did you see the November 2010 issue of Runner's World with the sports bra recommendations?)

Amanda@runninghood said...

ouch. The toe and the chaffing. I don't know how you run while nursing. I tried with my frist two and then had to just lay low with my third because of all the times I got Mastitis from running and tight clothes. Awesome running time! And I have say, I'm super jealous of the warm sun patch on your carpet. In Portland right now, we don't see the sun like that until summer. :(

Anonymous said...

I hope the Body Glide or something works for you, but congrats on such a fast run so soon :).

Amy Lauren

Karen Seal said...

Ouch so sorry about the chafing and the toe!

You are doing great! You are so fast!! I'm very impressed! :0)

ihaverun said...

I love days like that this time of year! Glad it was great in spite of the chafing and blood.

J said...

I missed all the nice weather today - i was stuck in my windowless workplace :( Maybe tomorrow, its supposed to be nice again!

Love2Mags said...

Body Glide is my go-to product! You can use it anywhere! Way to go on your run! You rocked it, despite the blood :)

Love2Mags said...

Oo also if you don't have any, check out Zensah bras...no chafing, seamless, and butter-soft (zensah.com)

Unknown said...

I've seen that same bloody sock before. I'm not gonna lie, it kind of makes me feel like a badass. :)

Chafing is the worst. Body-Glide for life! That's my motto.

ajh said...

I have found the Target no seams Champion bras are awesome for no chafing.

Darlene said...

Yes it was a beautiful day for running - I ran a 5k race.

Keep up the great running - hope the next one is less painful.

H Love said...

ouch! i too have had the same small cut from a toe digging into the next one....which results in lots of blood. I can't believe your speed! INSPIRING!

Joanne said...

You're doing great! What a come back. Too bad about the chafe and the toe. OWEY!
I was getting chafe under my sports top as well then I used Glide and a piece of sports tape. Problem solved.
I bought Injinji toe socks and haven't had a blister since.

Stacey said...

Ouch! I can always count on two places to chafe! Not fun.
Glad you had a great run in spite of the blood. HOpe you have a fabulous weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! At least your run went well. I second (third, fourth?) the recommendation for Bodyglide - and a different bra! :)

Unknown said...

eee gads! hope you can remedy the chafing and the bloody toe next time!

Fruit Fly said...

I had a similar sight a few months ago.... once of my proudest running moments to date! Granted it didn't hurt - but it looks like it should, so I wear it with pride!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...