Monday, October 1, 2012

Race week . . . take 2!

It's race week. Again!

Just two weeks ago I was getting excited for the ZOOMA half marathon and now here I am starting race week again. This time, I'm gearing up for the Mohawk-Hudson half marathon on Sunday.



I have no idea what to expect. After having such a hard time in the ZOOMA half, I'm having doubts about Sunday's race. When I originally signed up for the half, I wanted to go after a PR. And, honestly, I'd still like to run one. But, I'm worried that I don't have it in me right now.

My current half marathon PR is 1:48:27. Do I still have that in my legs? I don't know. I really don't.

Although . . . I've noticed something about my recent races. In looking over my times and experiences, a pattern has emerged. And it is making me wonder.

Take a look:

UP! -- In May I ran a strong, PR-setting marathon in 3:56:37.

UP! -- Then, in June I set a new 5K PR: 22:43

down -- In July, I struggled through the Boilermaker 15K. It was a tough, tough race for me and I didn't run very well.

UP! -- I followed that with a great race at the Clove Run 10-mile race, finishing second female overall.

UP! -- And at the end of August, I lowered my 5K PR yet again, to 22:42.

down  -- Two weeks ago, I struggled through the ZOOMA half.

So, based on that pattern, I should have a good race on Sunday, right? I mean, it looks like two UPs are in order following last week's down. At least according to my limited analysis. I guess I'll find out if that's true on Sunday.

In the meantime, I'm tapering. I logged some decent runs last week and I felt great on Saturday when I ran a nice, steady-paced 6 miler. I hope to go in to the race with confidence. I plan to spend this week building it!

Thanks for reading -- have a great week!

~ Felice






6 comments:

Lisa said...

Until just recently, Mohawk Hudson River was my marathon PR! It was a well run race and I've heard they've improved the handling of the train that runs thru the course :)

You'll be great!! Have fun!

Melissa said...

You totally have this!

Darlene said...

Here's hoping for an UP race!

Jamie said...

Have a great race! My mother in law is running the half too.

quix said...

I like your logic. Have a great race! :)

absolute fitness training said...

Just recently I'm having a race and I did it! I'm improving too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...