Friday, July 23, 2010

Mama miles.

Last night's run was exactly what I needed.

Earlier this week, a few of the girls from this spring's moms running group had posted on Facebook that they missed our group runs. So, I emailed them and set up a run for last night. Turns out, the best time for all of us to meet was after 8, so the 5 of us convened at Bridget's house at 8:15.

Although I've run after 8 several times this summer, I was nervous about last night. See, I've been having these pm contractions lately and I wasn't sure how they'd affect my run. Before you get all worried, let me tell you that they're perfectly normal. Just Braxton-Hicks contractions that occur throughout pregnancy but, this week, I've felt them stronger and they've mostly kicked in around 7:30 or 8 and have annoyed me until bedtime.

Before we headed out for our run, I told the girls I might need to walk depending on how the contractions were. Just a warning.

Running, apparently, chases the contractions away because there was no need for this preggo to walk. No, no, no. As soon as we settled in to the run, I felt great! I think my belly was in a constant contraction so it didn't have a chance to contract, un-contract, contract again. It just stayed firm and I was able to run without a care.

And the run was awesome. It was great to run with some of my best pals. We chatted about life stuff and running and had a good time in the cool late evening. We ran strong for 3.5 miles and then spent a little time drinking our water and chatting on Bridget's porch before we all went our separate ways, promising to keep up the group runs.

Had I not been running with my friends, I may not have run last night, I may have been "too tired" or "not feeling up to it." They carried me over that hurdle that often lies in the way of the first step of a great run. They got me out the door. Thanks, mamas!

Today was supposed to be a beach day. Big plans to meet lots of friends there, but the weather has decided not to cooperate. Oh, well. Not everything can go as well as last night's run!

Have a great weekend, everyone! Local runners participating in Silks & Satins: Good luck and have fun. Same goes for everyone racing this weekend!

~ Felice

10 comments:

Tricia said...

Great job! Sounds like you have a lovely group

Marlene said...

Glad you had such a great evening room and no issues with BH! Nothing like some good friends to get you out the door.

J said...

Great job on the run! Glad it helped to stop the contractions! Interesting how that works! Stinks that it is a rainy morning today. Oh well - at least the rest of the weekend will be nice! have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Fun run :) Friends really help motivate when you have similar interests. That's awesome.

misszippy said...

Getting out to run with the girls is always the answer! Glad you had a chance to do it.

Darlene said...

Glad your run went well. You have a great bunch of friends and now they're "running" friends.

Unknown said...

good job getting out there to run!

Suzy said...

It sounds like you all had a great time! I'm happy to hear the evening contractions didn't interfere with your run. Stay cool and enjoy the weekend.

Miz said...

love and covet your amazing support system.


carla

Molly said...

that's great you got in a group run, and that it kept those contractions away!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...