Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Long Island long run.

We spent the weekend on Long Island, visiting family, celebrating both an engagement and a first birthday. It was a fun time and in the midst of the fun I squeezed in a run.


It's just two weeks (less now!) until race day so I had 10 miles on my schedule for Sunday. I got up early-ish (not a problem with early-waking kids) and headed out to just run. I knew I was going to run to the state park near my mother-in-law's house but, other than that, I wasn't sure where I'd end up.

It was about a mile to the park and then I hit the trails:

One of the trails I ran on in Hempstead Lake State Park
(I'm still a little shaky with the camera when I run!).

The park was deserted, except for a dog-walker here and there. I ran about 4 miles in the park and then looped out to run through the streets. Since I hadn't mapped out a good route, I ran where it seemed like a good idea but ended up not too far from my mother-in-law's house right around 7.5 miles into the run. For whatever reason I didn't want to run back over streets that I had already run on, so I made my way to the middle school and ran on the track for 1.5 miles and then ran back to the house.

All told, 10.5 miles at 9:31 pace. The run felt easy, which I attribute to both my comfortable pace and the perfect running weather that morning. My fingers are crossed for such weather on race day!

Now I'm having that weird feeling that comes with finishing your last long run of a training cycle. I'm almost positive that I am going to want to run 10 this weekend but I only have 7 on the schedule. That will have to do!

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you all had a good weekend!

~ Felice


10 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful trail photo. must have been heaven to run there!

Tricia said...

sounds like a lovely place to run

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Sounds like a great run :)
I grew up on Long Island, but wasn't a runner then. Lived farther east, on the south shore in Suffolk County. My mom grew up in New Hyde Park, though, pretty close!

Darlene said...

I am from LI too. Never ran there. I'd love to do the Diva half since that is near where I grew up.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful trail to run and enjoy!! Enjoy your tapering until the big race!!!

Casey said...

beautiful photo!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great run! I'm really looking forward to the day that I want to run 3 miles longer than I have scheduled!

Marlene said...

Great job fitting in your long run during a weekend away - sometimes easier said than done! Looks like a beautiful trail to run on!

Less than 2 weeks - yahoo!

Suzy said...

You ran in a very beautiful place! Enjoy your taper! Your next half marathon will be here before you know it.

Anonymous said...

obviously like your web site but you need to check the spelling on several of your
posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome
to inform the truth however I will surely come back again.
my web page :: Canada Goose

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...