Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Where's my A stuff?

Runners, as CoffeeBetsy so aptly put it, go running anyway. Meaning, even under less than ideal circumstances.

Like this evening, for example. It was H. O. T. today, still very much so when I wanted to head out for a run around 5:45. So, I went to Plan B and made dinner early and went for a run as Owen was putting Conal to bed at 7:45.

It kinda sucked. I felt all squoogy and just off. I slowed down, pulled back to a mere jog and decided that tonight's run would be more about just getting out there. The neighborhood was peaceful and I felt peaceful jogging at my slower pace.

And then something happened. As I was listening to the crickets, the birds and the frogs, I started to feel good. Then, great. I was feeling great! So great, in fact, that I picked up the pace. Still great. I picked it up a little more -- great. I sped up the hill in one of the cul-de-sacs and as I crested it, I still felt great.

I kept up the pace through the flat stretch and then pushed it up the next hill. I passed a woman walking with hand weights and we exchanged pleasantries. I had fleet feet and I sprinted down the other side of the hill, landing lightly, and ran strong over the rest of the route.

As I finished my run, I thought of this: Sometimes you go out there and you just don't have your A stuff. You might even be working with only a solid C. But you go out there anyway and, before you know it, you've got B stuff and a few minutes later, there you are. Enjoying an A+ run. You found your A stuff along the way.

Friends, this run was awesome.

And now, for a push up challenge update . . .

Today started with 22. Then 17/17/15/20 for a total of 91 push ups. 91! Holy crow...

2 comments:

E said...

Nice job on the run and the push ups! Keep it up!

Felice Devine said...

Thanks! I'm gonna try...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...