Happy new year! I hope everyone had a nice New Year's Eve and has enjoyed the start of 2010 so far. I had a great time with fun friends on NYE/the early morning hours of New Year's Day. And I followed up the festivities with an easy 5-miler on the 1st so, all in all, a positive start to the year!
But now, it's time for me to set out my 2010 goals!
Last year, I started January with one set of goals that I quickly re-adjusted (in early March, I think) because I hadn't really thought out the original set well enough. Then, my re-adjusted goals were a little weird. So this year I hope to avoid setting scrap-worthy goals that are quickly followed by weird goals. Good plan, huh?
OK, so. Here they are. My 2010 (running-related) goals:
- To run strong and well throughout the year. I ran through 2009 without injury (some nagging soreness here and there notwithstanding) and I would like to do that again in 2010. If I continue to listen to my body, keep up with the cross training and run smart I believe I can easily achieve this goal.
- To set at least one new PR. Last year, I wanted more than almost anything to run a sub-23 minute 5K and set a PR at 22:56 or better. This year, I'm expanding on that goal. I would like a PR and will take one in any distance that I have raced so far: 5K, 3.5m, 4m, 10K, 15K, marathon.
- To run outdoors more often than indoors. I mostly do this now and with my new headlamp and decent cold-weather running gear I should be all set for success here.
- To meet some other running bloggers. This one should be a piece of cake since I'm planning to run the HMRRC Winter Marathon Relay with Suzy and Amanda. But, maybe I'll meet others? Who knows!
- To run 1010 miles for 2010. I ran 904 in 2009 so 1010 should be no problem!
- To break the death-grip that is my Starburst jellybean addiction. I was practically shaking just typing that. I lur-ur-ur-urve the Starbusrt jellybeans. They are my thing. But too much of a good thing is actually rotten so I would do well to cut back on the jellybeans. For real this time. Yes, I've quit before. This time will be different. How? I don't know! But it will!
Over the course of the year, I'm sure I'll set some additional, short-term goals that will probably support at least one of these goals in some way. That's the way I do it. Let's just hope I don't scrap these goals in March. I doubt I will!
OK, yay! My goals are out there! I'd better get to work :-)
If you're interested, I wrote about running resolutions and suggestions for enhancing your running in 2010 over here.
Have a great week, everyone!
PS: Do you like Smartwool? Check out my giveaway over at my other site! Smartwool -- woo hoo!