Thursday, August 12, 2010

Decisions made.

Thanks for all of your supportive comments on my last post! I really appreciate them.

I'm feeling remarkably at peace after writing that post. Making a decision can be liberating and that's just how it's been for me. Now that I've decided to fully listen to my body and hang up the running shoes until after I give birth, I feel free. No longer will I wonder if I can run today. No longer will I have extended internal debates about whether or not that twinge was just a twinge or something more. No longer will I be disappointed when my body tells me to stop when my mind wants to go.

Instead, I can feel confident going for walks, working out in my living room with Jillian and those other exercise tv ladies, or just doing my own thing. I think this will be good for me. (She says, just one week into this no running thing . . . )

My last walk was awesome. Felt great. Chatted with a neighbor. Woo hoo! My last weights workout was equally good. Felt strong. Chatted with . . . well, no one but that's just because I didn't feel like it was appropriate to start up a conversation with Kipper, Elmo or any of the other stuffed animals Conal had lying around the living room. I mean, I have some standards!

So, anyway, walking is my new running. Squats are my new speedwork. Cheers to that!

But, you: You, my friend, should go enjoy your run. And your weekend. Hope it's a good one!

~ Felice

18 comments:

ajh said...

I"m biking not running so enjoy some company.

Darlene said...

I'm playing tennis and not running much. I think about running but we can't do everything we want to do sometimes. We have to make choices. Sounds like you made the right one.

ShutUpandRun said...

Yes indeed there is life beyond running!! Sometimes when we move into a different mode it really opens up our world. Stay healthy!

Quix said...

After training for my first half, for a long time, every time I tried to run or thought about running it was MISERABLE. My body said it was time for a break, so I swam, biked, danced, zumba'd, did weights, arc trainer, workout videos, long walks, anything but running, and in a month or two, picked running back up stronger than I had been and got a new 5k PR!

Enjoy your new adventures! Have a great weekend yourself!

Unknown said...

I'm not able to run either, but it's all good..

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

This is good to hear! When I can't run, I focus on other ways to keep fit, like weight training, too. Yeah, don't start talking to the stuffed animals yet or we'll have to start worrying about you!

Julianne said...

You'll be back running sooner than you think!! :-)

Sounds like you've been making all the right choices, though!

Fruit Fly said...

I must say you have inspired me! Okay - I have no prospect of having a child anytime soon... but some day! I've already used you as a positive example that whenever I'm lucky enough to have a baby, I can still keep up with the running during pregnancy! So even though you had to make a tough choice, you are still a good running role model to me! :-)

Unknown said...

I really hope that one day, when I am pregnant, I can run half as much as you did. =) Enjoy your time off. It will make it that much more rewarding when you return to running in the future.

Joanne @ MostlyFitMom said...

It's awesome that you're still working out, even though it's not running. Jillian is pretty tough :)

Joanne @ MostlyFitMom said...

It's awesome that you're still working out, even though it's not running. Jillian is pretty tough :)

Anonymous said...

You'll be fine. I actually stopped running in my first month -I was too tired. Starting back up has been hard, but it is coming back and you are in much better shape compared to me. Enjoy your walks.

Casey said...

i feel you, girl. i was there this time last year! you'll be back so quick this lapse will seem like nothing. :)

Karen Seal said...

I think you've done fabulous and I've been very impressed at how well you've done so far! You are right to listen to your body! You are going to have a great delivery and you are going to bounceback so well after your pregnancy is over! Great job, girl!! :0))

J said...

I am glad you are feeling good about all this! I seriously wish I could walk more and enjoy the scenery. I took a few walks this past weekend and really enjoyed them!

Denise said...

sounds like you made the right decision! i'm happy you're feeling better already!

Miz said...

walking is my new running. Squats are my new speedwork. and Im yer new virtual training partner :)

such a smart smart choice.
(uh the running piece not the me piece :))

Joanne said...

Walking is a great break from running. I really look forward to my walks with the hubby (who doesn't run) and the dog.
Take a break. Enjoy. It's just as good exercise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...