Thursday, August 18, 2011

10 mile lessons.

I've had some time to reflect on Saturday's 10-mile race and I've come up with a few tidbits that I hope will help me in the half marathon. Maybe you'll find something in my thoughts to help you, too.

  • Sticking to your own plan works. I wanted to run a pace between 8 and 8:30 and that's what I did. The fact that running that pace (8:07) led to a win was icing on the cake. 
  • Racing shoes rock. I wore my new Brooks Racer ST5s and they felt great. I've never before worn racing shoes for a race. The first time I do? I win. I will definitely wear them for the half marathon. 
  • PowerBar Energy Blasts are too tough to chew. At least for me, during a race. I had used the blasts on two long runs and they were fine. But in a race situation, when I didn't want to slow down to chew them, they simply didn't work. I couldn't manage chewing them and running at the same time. Need to find something else!
  • Runningskirts.com running skirts are sa-weet! I wore my new argyle running skirt for the race and it was cool, comfy and it didn't cause a bit of chafing. Like the racing shoes, I plan to wear the skirt for the half.
  • Running alone is no way to run a race. Ugh. That was the one bad thing about the race -- for the last 5 or so miles I was running alone. I couldn't see anyone in front of me or behind me. That was definitely weird. For races where I'd like to PR, I plan to make sure that there are enough runners entered so I won't be alone on the course. That's just too tough.
  • Sometimes you've got the hills, sometimes the hills have got you. And that's OK. If you have to walk, eh, what's the big deal? Sometimes -- like, for example, when you come upon a STEEP hill at mile 9 of a 10 mile race -- you need to give yourself a break and just walk a bit. I'm normally fine with hills but in Saturday's race, that last hill kicked my butt. I had no choice but to walk up the last quarter or so of the hill. And I'm OK with that.
  • Always smile for the camera. This is probably the most important. Otherwise, you end up looking all grumpy or something, like this:
At least I wasn't biting my bottom lip!

So, lessons learned. Thanks Clove Run!

Do you have any important tune-up race lessons that helped you in your goal race? 

Enjoy the rest of the week, everyone. Don't forget to enter my socks giveaway -- it ends tonight!

~ Felice

7 comments:

Marlene said...

I avoid chews during races - way too hard to get them down while pushing it.

How did you like your new skirt?? (Looks great. BTW!)

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

Great job in placing!!! Makes me want to get race shoes too but do they have support?? Love the skirt it is really cute. I've learned that too much caffeine in my chomps/gu doesn't do well with my stomach.

Laura said...

I love the powerbar chews but use them before a race. Congrats on the planning...it certainly paid off!

April said...

Congrats on placing and looking adorable doing it! Love the skirt! I have it in black and white.:)
I learned in a tune-up race that wearing a headband longer than 10 miles gives me an awful headache. A lesson Im glad I learned before my marathon!

Suzy said...

Great lessons and you look great. I tried RunninSkirts and they just don't fit me. :( I wish they did because I love a good running skirt.

KT80 said...

That skirt is so cute! I too don't like to try to chew too much when I'm running, but haven't figured out the best thing to have on my long runs.

Casey said...

I've learned to always have a pre-race coffee and to wear BodyGlide. No exceptions!


If you are interested, a Virtual 5k!
http://bugsbees.blogspot.com/2011/08/virtual-5k-for-coffee.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...