Thursday, June 28, 2012

Don't wish it away.

Last week, my 5 year old graduated from pre-school.


During the ceremony.


That's me with my little guy after the graduation.


And there's the graduate with his dad.


He seems so old. And, yet, still so young (this is a kid who still asks to watch Blue's Clues after all). I can't believe he'll be off to kindergarten in the fall. It doesn't seem possible.


Parenting really is like that saying: The days are long but the years are short


The years certainly are short. And those long days? I believe they are meant to be enjoyed. A friend sent me an email the other day and in it she wrote, "It really is lovely to see how you enjoy your family." It touched my heart -- such a kind thing to say. And so true. I do enjoy them. I truly love spending my days with my family and that is a great feeling. 


Yet, there have been times when I've gotten caught up in the trap of wishing it all away. I hear others talking about how they can't wait for their kids to go off to kindergarten, or they can't wait for camp to start, or they can't wait for this milestone or that. And, truth be told, I've often covered my discomfort in those conversations by nodding my head or giving a "Yeah, I know."


But I don't. I don't know. I can wait for kindergarten. No, I don't want to keep my kids home forever but, honestly, I'll miss my little guy when he goes off to school for 7 hours. It is not popular, but I wish our school district had half-day kindergarten. We don't. So, he'll be off to kindergarten. He'll get older and older. 


And me? I don't plan to wish any of it away. I plan to continue to enjoy these days. I plan to make the most of all the moments we have together.


Source: via Felice on Pinterest


So, now, I'm off to enjoy my days of miracle and wonder with my two little boys!


Enjoy the day, everyone!


Thanks for stopping by.


~ Felice 










6 comments:

Melissa said...

You have such a great attitude on parenting! Somedays I wish I could just freeze time or just slow it down a little bit. It's fun to see them complete all these milestones but they seem to happen too fast! I know I will be a puddle when Mia is old enough for kindergarten.

Felice Devine said...

You're absolutely right. It is GREAT to see them do things but it happens to fast!!

Unknown said...

It's crazy...right now Preschool seems so far away but I know it will be here in no time. Man how time flies.

RunningJunkie said...

I know how you feel! My daughter just finished Kindergarten! I cannot believe that she is going into second grade. She seems SO grown up.

I actually was excited for school because, to me, it was AMAZING to see her learning. For her to come back to me after school, reading and writing and doing math and talking about plants....I just thought it was the coolest thing.

Felice Devine said...

Running Junkie -- I feel excited for that, too. I love watching my son learn and I love how much he enjoys school. I wouldn't ever want to take that experience away -- I'll just miss him :-)

Anonymous said...

thanks for this post :) as I cherish the last few weeks at home with my 4 month old I am trying hard to live your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...