Monday, June 18, 2012

Hello, Michelob Ultra Light Cider!

Back in the day (1990s . . . what?), I enjoyed some cider. Not the freshly pressed cider of the u-pick-em farms variety, but the adult kind. I spent the better part of a year in London after I graduated from college and cider was the thing over there. At least it was the thing for me.

But it was heavy. And sweet. And, honestly, as I got older I stopped liking it as much. It filled me up too quickly and felt too heavy and tasted too sweet.

And yet, I have fond memories of cider from those London days and my early years living in New York City. Sure, part of that might be because I was so much younger then. But, no matter. I remember the stuff fondly.

So I was happy to review the new Michelob ULTRA Light Cider. You know, so I could feel young again :-).


And you know what? It's pretty good stuff. ULTRA Light Cider has 120 calories per serving and is naturally gluten-free, making it a nice alternative to beer for people who need -- or want -- to avoid gluten. And it is sweetened with stevia, a good thing for people who like -- or need -- to avoid sugar. It is also a nice alternative for people like me who simply don't like beer, but like to have a bottled drink at summer parties. 

What I like about the cider is that it is light and crisp, but not overly sweet. It has a bit of an apple-y flavor, but it isn't overwhelming.

I had Owen and my dad both try it and they agreed that Michelob's new cider is not sweet and heavy like ciders they've had in the past. Did they love it? No, I wouldn't say they did. But that's OK. Not every drink is for everybody. I liked it. I don't know that summertime sips of Michelob ULTRA Light Cider will wash away my happy memories of good ol' heavy cider in London pubs, but I can see myself enjoying a bottle from time to time.

You can learn more about it on the Michelob ULTRA Light Cider page on BlogHer.com or on the Sponsor’s site.

So tell me: Which favorite summer meal or activity do you think would go best with Michelob ULTRA Cider? 

 ~ Felice

5 comments:

Quix said...

I tried it this weekend, and this...

"It is also a nice alternative for people like me who simply don't like beer, but like to have a bottled drink at summer parties."

...is exactly how I feel. I usually bring wine and it's a pain to deal with. I like cider, but it's too sweet for me, so this is perfect!

RunningJunkie said...

I usually go to Michelob Ultra Light when I want an adult beverage. I've never had cider but may need to try this.

I, however, love the taste of a good cold beer:-)

live sports said...

great post

Anonymous said...

how much did anheuser busch pay you to blog this?

Ali said...

I've been wondering about this cider. I first heard about it a few weeks ago, but haven't seen it in the stores yet. When I've had hard cider in the past, I'd associate it more of a fall/winter drink than a summer. Is it because this one is lighter it's better for summer?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...