Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Triple berry low-sugar muffins.

As I've gone sugar-free, I've been moving my family's diet more in that direction as well. It is unbelievable how much sugar is in everything. It's nuts.

Anyway, one of the things I've been doing is altering recipes so they use less sugar, less flour, less junk. One of my -- and my sons' -- favorites is my new triple berry low-sugar muffin recipe!

They are moist. And berry-licious. My older son can easily eat two or three in a sitting and, honestly, I'm OK with that because they are full of good stuff! Here's my recipe so you can enjoy these goodies as well.

Triple Berry Low-Sugar Muffins

Ingredients

1/3 cup brown sugar (not packed)
4 tbs. butter
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup finely ground unsweetened coconut (or coconut flour)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

2 cups frozen unsweetened berries I use a triple berry blend of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms and sides of a 12-cup muffin tin.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter. Add remaining wet ingredients and mix well.

Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in frozen berries. The batter will be pretty lumpy, just make sure it is combined.

Fill muffin tins with batter. You will likely have more batter after filling your 12 tins. I've found it is enough for about 4-6 additional muffins. If you have an additional muffin pan of that size, great. If not, a small bread pan (not regular loaf size) will work but you'll need to keep that in the oven a little longer than the muffins.

Bake muffins for about 22-26 minutes until the edges start to brown a little and a toothpick comes out fairly clean (but not completely -- you don't these to dry out!). Let them set for a few minutes before moving them to a rack to cool.

Enjoy!





As you can see, these are free neither or sugar nor wheat flour. However, they are much lower in both than most muffins and I like that. So, these might not be right for me on my sugar-free diet, but they are good for my boys as I try to feed them good foods for life.

Try them -- and let me know if you like them!

Do you have a favorite healthy muffin recipe?

Thanks for stopping by!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

i may try those. i love berry muffins, but you are right, they are loaded with sugar and flour!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...