Monday, March 25, 2013

12 miles. Treadmill style.

I had a great plan for yesterday's long run. I was going to meet Bridget for 3 miles at 7:30. Then Elisa would join us for 5 miles. I'd finish with 4 miles by myself. 


Only, that didn't happen. 

See, it was cold this weekend and my body has been rebelling against the cold. Not in a "Oh, I don't like the cold and would rather not go out in it" kind of way. That I could handle. No, it has been rebelling in a "I'm going to kick all of your nerve pain into high gear and I'm going to keep it like that for hours and hours and hours" kind of way.

Not pleasant.

I've learned that if I'm feeling a certain way and it is too cold and windy, my body can't handle it. The pain while I run is one thing -- and, believe me, I can handle pain while I run -- but the lingering pain is another thing entirely. After a cold run, my feet can hurt for a full day. Same with my hands. And my face? It is bad. My face gets a feeling like I've just been shot-up with Novocaine. And it doesn't go away. The worst is my nose. In addition to the pain from exposure, it is red and raw -- some combination of sunburn (the antibiotics make me more susceptible to sunburn) and response to the cold.

Lovely, right? Right.

So, I've more or less learned my lesson and stick to indoor runs when the conditions aren't right. Like this weekend.

Saturday was 5.75 miles on the treadmill. Sunday was 12.3.

So much for a long run with friends!

It didn't bother me too much. After all, I got to run in shorts:


Never a bad thing.

But, you know, treadmill miles can be boring and there's not a lot of fun stuff on TV on Sunday morning. How many episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress" can a runner really watch? 

So, long run on the treadmill: Done. 12.3 miles. Sure, I wanted to stop at 9. And at 10. And, I really, really, really wanted to stop at 11. But I kept going and even finished strong.

Now, can we just get some warm weather sometime soon? 

Please?

Have a great week, everyone!


 

9 comments:

Amy Z said...

Running in shorts is always a good way to look at the positive! I am impressed. 7 or 8 tends to be my threshold on the treadmill, but when you have to do it, you just go ahead and get it done!

Darlene said...

I am impressed. I struggle to stay on for 3 miles. Yes, please bring spring weather SOON!!

Running Librarian said...

Wow! That is amazing on a treadmill! Way to get those miles in :)

Becky at Prairie Runner said...

Blah - I hate TM running! You did it and I LOVE the green socks!!!

Kenley said...

Ive seen some people at gym hook up with netflix on their ipads while treadmilling. Great running!

Kenley said...

Ive seen some people at gym hook up with netflix on their ipads while treadmilling. Great running!

Kenley said...

Ive seen some people at gym hook up with netflix on their ipads while treadmilling. Great running!

Sabrina Hayes said...

Three miles is about all I can stand on the treadmill. I did 9 at the end of last year and I haven't been on it since. Fortunately SoCal has really great weather. Even when it's cold, it's on 55 degrees. Hang in there. Thanks for posting!

Brownie on weight loss said...

I haven't done so long runs on treadmill, in the fear that it will be boring-Should try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...