Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Happy runner, interrupted.


I met with my doctor today to go over my MRI. 

The good news: No fracture. 

The bad news: Two tears and hematoma. 

My gluteus minimus and tensor fascia latae are torn. The hematoma is just from the internal bleeding (from those tears). The doctor said he could aspirate the hematoma but recommended letting it resolve on its own. Otherwise, the treatment is just rest.

Rest for 4 more weeks. As in, no running. No. Running. For. Four. More. Weeks.

I'm to ice the area and rest. Avoid stairs and hills. If I don't have pain, I can walk (wooo!) and I can try out biking, if I'm so inclined. Honestly, I'm not all that inclined given that a) I don't own a bike and b) I'm about as spastic a bike rider as they get.

But, I might be tempted after another week or two of inactivity. We'll see. 

In the meantime, I'll do my best not to mope.


Yup.

If this blog gets too mopey, feel free to give me a virtual kick in the shin. What can it hurt? I can't run anyway.

Wah, wah.







9 comments:

Michelle said...

SO sorry. I've been there.
There is hope though....I think I'm a better athlete because of it. (It wasn't pretty arriving at that, but here I am!)

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

Honestly I feel your pain! I'm sorry about the tear and hopefully it heals quickly! I'm dealing with knee issues which means running is on the back burner :(

Alyssa Duhe said...

If it makes you feel any better I am out now with runners knee, inflammation, and some tendonitis in both my knees. So I am icing and just trying to get to the point where driving and yoga don't hurt.

Icing buddies!

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry. :( But it's been so hooooot lately here in upstate NY that who wants to run anyway! Get better soon!

Sarah said...

That stinks, but you will make the best of it. I'm a cyclist. Come over to the two wheeled side! It's fun over here!

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

mia79gbr said...

Get well soon. Not being able to run sucks ... I'm bad enough tapering - let alone injured. I've heard good things about aqua running for low impact exercise. Apparently very good for maintaining running fitness levels too.

Unknown said...

So sorry - nothing I can say to make the time go quicker but I hope the time passes and you are 100% ready to go at the end of the next 4 weeks!!!

Bridget said...

And this is when your love for biking might begin! And soon we will be doing duathalons!

Felice Devine said...

You are a funny woman, Bridget! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...