Friday, January 18, 2013

60 sugar-free days?

Less than one week into the (new? improved?) sugar-free (ish) me, I'm getting excited.

Excited not to be eating sugar? How can that be?

Good question. And yet, I am. I've been reading a lot about sugar-free living (which, in my case, includes giving up wheat, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.) and the more I read, the more I am completely convinced that this is the right thing to do.

It hasn't been easy so far -- but it has been a lot easier than I expected. The many resources I've found have been incredibly helpful as I navigate my new eating. Add to that my supportive husband and things are starting to work out.



My doctor prescribed a month of sugar-free eating as a test, and the Whole 30 program (which has been a great resource) lasts for 30 days as well. But, some other resources have recommended going sugar-free for 60 days to reap the most benefit and ensure that the new way of eating sticks.

Since my first week so far has been filled with trials and preparation (but, yes, has mostly been sugar free), I feel like I can't really count it in my 30 day tally. Sure, I'll check in with my doctor when I'm supposed to, but I almost feel like I need to add another week to my test.

In fact, I've been wondering if I should commit to 60 days right now.

And then I shake some sense into myself: Take this as it comes. Do it for 30 days. Commit to that and do it well. Then you can see about doing it for longer.

No need to get ahead of myself, right? Right.

So 30 days it is. I'm doing it.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

~ Felice

6 comments:

Teamarcia said...

How exciting! All the best with sugar-free!

Laura said...

Are you allowed fruit for natural sweetness?

Okie Gym Girl said...

I LOVE your blog. Just trying to get my blog up and running and I came across yours so I thought I'd stop by and say "hey" and add you to my follow list :) Happy Running!

Felice Devine said...

Thanks, Okie Gym Girl!

Laura: Yes, I can. Fresh, high fiber fruit is allowed. So, I'm quite the apple eater these days!

Becky at Prairie Runner said...

Great - keep on going!!! You have got to be strong to clean sugar out of your diet!!

Erik Ammon said...

Way to go! I've been sugar free(ish) for over 4 years now and my life, and that of my family, has benefited from it greatly! It's been 4+ years since soda, 2 sugars in my coffee, desserts, candy, soda, etc. I say keep it going for as long as you can! Don't doubt your level to commit. You want it? Go get it!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...