Sunday, August 4, 2013

Long and faster.

At long last, my running is starting to return to normal.

I ran 59.7 miles in July, which is a HUGE bump up from the measly 7 I ran in June. Over the course of those 59.7 miles, I've slowly begun to feel like I'm overcoming my hip injury. I'm running longer, including a 7 mile run last weekend, and my weekly mileage is creeping up -- to 20 miles last week!

I'm also running faster. For most of my first month back to running I've been going at a slow pace. I had to walk up hills for the first two weeks (doctor's orders!) and I was also a bit afraid to push it. Slow is the way to go when coming back from an injury.

But then, I started to feel better. And I developed an itch to go faster. So, on Thursday, I did some speed work. I met my friend Bridget to run at the track and after we warmed up a bit we ran a fast half mile. Then we split up and she ran some sprints and I timed my mile.

Surprisingly, I ran my mile in 6:44.

And I wasn't even gasping for breath! Instead, I felt pretty good. I felt like I was running a steady, strong, fast pace. I almost -- dare I say it -- felt like I could have gone faster.

What a great feeling! Great feeling any time, I suppose, but especially so when returning from an injury. Two months ago I thought I was washed up. Now, I'm full of hope.

I'm back.

Well, on my way back. But that's more or less the same thing, in my book!

Now, I need to focus on continuing to build my mileage while continuing to heal my hip. Switching to the half marathon in October is looking more and more likely . . .

Have a great week, everyone!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are back!

Running Librarian said...

Wonderful! Glad you are starting to feel normal :)

Suz and Allan said...

Wow, very fast mile! Hooray for a jump in mileage this month.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...