Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Only six.

It's Thursday, so it's time for the Runners' Lounge Take it and Run Thursday. This week's theme: Write your running memoir in just six words.

Running on and off. Now on.

That pretty much sums up my running since I started back in college. I played lacrosse, which meant I ran during the season but that was about it. Then I went to London and, are you kidding me? Do you think I ran there? No. I ate.

After London, I moved to NYC and was busy finding happy hour specials and proving myself as a competent publishing professional. I ran some, here and there. But not with any regularity.

Then I met Owen, we got married (nine years ago TODAY!), moved upstate and I became a runner.

I ran consistently. I became better at it. I started to train for races, rather than just deciding to run them on a whim. I set goals. I met them and set new ones. I fell in love with running.

Since becoming a runner, I've run dozens of 5ks, some 10ks and 15ks and a marathon. I've logged many, many miles and, as I have, I've developed into a better, stronger, more self-aware runner. Now, as a 38-year old mom of a v. active toddler, running keeps me fit and helps me handle stress.

My six word hope for my running future (my future memoir?) and, honestly, for all of you runners out there is this:

Keep on running. Strong and happy.

10 comments:

Midwest said...

That's great. I hope you can stay "on" for as long as you want to. And happy anniversary!

Marcy said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Here's to many more ;-)

carla said...

I love it.

and marriage.

the best thing I ever did.

happy happy.

MizFit

tfh said...

Happy anniversary!

Very nice memoir. Very good advice. I will try to keep it "on" too! And, of course, always happy!

E said...

Love it! Happy anniversary!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Happy Anniversary. Great memoirs!

ncrunner12 said...

Happy anniversary!
I love knowing that I call myself a runner when people as... so what do you do for fun?
A friend told me today on an 8 mi run that only 1% of the population can say that, so say it proud.

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

What a great post--not only a great six-word memoir but also a meaningful explanation!

Hope you had a great anniversary, Felice, and thanks for your great insights.

So glad to have met you and your blog!

Ax said...

Hey Happy Runner. It definitely sounds like you are "on" with your running. I enjoyed your blog. And thanks for stopping by mine.

RunnerMom said...

That was a great post! I'll have to read back and find out about your marathon experience!

I'm on week 4 (for the 2nd week) of the push up challenge myself. I need to do day 3, but after my 9-miler, it may have to wait!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...