Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Flash!

This is fairly irrelevant but I'm sharing it anyway: I used to have an exceptional ability to identify dog breeds. Back in the day (my NYC, single, working girl days), I worked in pet book publishing and had to attend dog shows, pet trade shows, agility events and -- most of all -- I had to know my American Kennel Club dog breeds.

Most of that knowledge has since left my brain but I can still identify the obvious breeds -- pugs, poodles, westies, weimaraners, etc. And, of course, the lovable Golden Retriever.

Flash is a Golden Retriever and a wonderfully lovable one at that. She's not my dog (in fact, I don't really go for dogs. I've been attacked twice and have a hard time getting beyond that.); she's a neighbors dog. One who always seems to be out for a walk when I'm out for my run.

I like Flash. She doesn't bark. She doesn't jump up on me. When she sees me coming, she bounds over and gives me a little nudge, as if to say, "Hello!" I rub her head and say the same boring thing every time, "Hey there, Flash! Hey, good little puppy!" And then she moves on.

I like that. We have a nice little exchange and then we're done.

The problem is, Flash hasn't been around for months. She was at the doggie hospital and then she wasn't well enough to go outside and I just didn't see her for ages. I would see her owner out for his walks and he seemed a little glum not to have Flash with him.

Last night, though, she was back. I was about a mile into my slow, easy 4-miler when Flash bounded over to me, just like her old self! Her owner and I chatted for a minute and then we went on our way. Seeing Flash back in the 'hood put a little spring in my step and definitely gave my spirits a lift. I had missed her and didn't even realize it.

Welcome back, Flash. See you on the roads!

~ Felice

22 comments:

Katie said...

Aw, I'm so glad to hear that flash is back and okay! Dogs bring so much love and joy to so many homes :)

Jocelyn said...

Aw yeah! Flash is back :)

Manderz said...

Awwwww! Welcome back Flash!

J said...

Aww that is so nice! Glad flash was able to recover and is healthy again! Its nice to see your neighbors out on runs!!

Ewa said...

I often wish I could have a dog but the way our lives are, I really cannot.
I used to run one trail at the same time 3 times a week for a couple of months. I would always see a coyote (same one I presume) walking the same path every time. He would not run over to me to be petted though. Maybe it's better. It was sweet seeing it though.

Sarah said...

Oh, this is such a sweet post. Two of my biggest loves...running and dogs. Flash sounds like a sweetheart! Sometimes it's those little things that make runs so special. I'm glad I've come across your blog. Have a good day!

Libby said...

Awww yay Flash! I absolutely love goldens, I grew up with one and then when she passed away we got another one. My parents send me pictures of her a lot and she is the love of my life when I go home. I can't wait until I can get a little puppy of my own :)

n/a said...

I wasn't sure which way that post was going to go so I'm very relieved that Flash is back to being healthy and happy!

Marlene said...

Aw, that's great! I wish I had a friendly neighborhood dog! So glad Flash is back!

Allie said...

That's so sweet, I love doggies but I can't run with mine, she's old and crazy. Glad Flash is doing better.

Denise said...

Aw, that is so cute. I'm glad Flash is back!!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness said...

Aw... I'm happy you have a little doggy friend! It seems like all the animals I encounter on my outdoor runs are not so loving. And possibly spawns of satan...

Aron said...

YAYYYY so happy flash is back :) love this post.

Suzy said...

Flash sounds like a great golden! So happy Flash is back.

Joanne said...

Oh - I'm so happy for Flash. That would really bother me thought not seeing her for so long.
I run with my German Shepherd and often wonder if the people who see us together think twice on the rare occasion I run without him?

Jill said...

That's so cool! Glad Flash is back and making ya smile!! :)

ajh said...

I'm not a dog person but I loved this post! Yeah Flash!

Being Robinson said...

awww, well i can understand a hesitation to dogs after your experience. but YAY that flash is back! how sweet. and that's funny you can identify breeds, i can only pick out breeds similar to mine!

Unknown said...

That was a sweet post, I get attached to the little guys I see along my runs too. When I don't see them, I miss them! Glad Flash is back!

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is so cute! I love my Golden Retriever :-)

Quix said...

Yaaaay! I definitely have my doggies I see on my normal route. There's two little yippy dogs starting out, and then two big black dogs about a mile in. Funny story: the big black dogs used to be scary and almost jump over their fence - until I talked to them one day and said "Hey puppy yes you're a good puppy" or something like that. Now when I pass by, they look up, and go "Oh, it's her" and then just keep doing what they're doing. :) It's how I know I'm not slacking on my running.

Diana said...

Not a dog person? So funny that it was your job :)
Glad you have your buddy back! Very cool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...