Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Happy and proud.

So, some days you feel fine. Some days you feel blah. Other days, you feel awesome because things like this happen:

A friend has decided to take up running. She's going to train with my little running group for the Freihofer's Run for Women, which will be her first race. Our first training session is Sunday 3/14 but this friend is already all into it.

We were out last night and at one point she leaned over to me and said, "I ran for 11 minutes!" She told me how she was walking as a warm-up and then running for two minutes, walking for one. She's never been much for running but in a short period, she has built up to 11 minutes. She was happy and proud and I felt so happy and proud for her!

We talked about running gear and gradually extending her runs and how I'm convinced she'll start to love running outdoors more than running on the treadmill.

It was just . . . just great. It made me feel excited to see a friend become excited about running. Whenever any of my friends or acquaintances take up running, I remember what it was like when running was new to me. Starting something new, taking on a new challenge -- those can be tough things to do. I'm inspired by people who step up to the challenges that can change their lives, in ways small or large.

I can't wait for the running group to start. I can't wait to watch the runners accomplish what they may not have thought they ever could, whether they are attempting to run for the first time or seeking a better race time. These mamas are going to do it!

This is going to be good.

Enjoy the rest of the day, everyone!

~ Felice

PS: Another week, another giveaway! Fun, fun, fun workout towels -- check them out.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love seeing new people get excited about running! good job!

Marlene said...

THat's awesome! Good for her. It's a wonderful feeling to see friends getting involved & excited about our sport. I hope you have many more proud and happy moments like this (and I'm sure you will) once your training group gets underway!

ShutUpandRun said...

Yay, that's my favorite when someone new joins the running world. It is so fun to see progress. I was a new runner not that long ago, so I can relate.

J said...

That really is very exciting! i love when people get into running and being to love it!!

Molly said...

very cool. I got my sister in law into running, and she ran a half marathon with me last fall!

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is awesome!!!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Yes! It's great to talk with an excited new runner! You'll be a great coach!

Heather said...

It's so fun to watch people get excited about something you are already passionate about. Much better than the "you are crazy" comments from non runners. :)

Momma Twitch said...

That's really cool! It's so great that she has someone like you to be a coach. :)

joyRuN said...

I felt that same pride when my brother started training for his first race last year, and still do when he talks about what races we're doing together this year.

Bridget said...

You are too cute! Your post almost made me cry! I read it to Brian and he told me I should keep going and going and eventually run a marathon. Okay - now he's getting a little crazy.

Felice Devine said...

You could do it, Bridget! You could!

Running 365 said...

That's so great! I'm organizing a 5K race here and I'm trying to get a lot of new runners and walkers involved. I'm hoping that it will lead to a larger community of runners here.

ajh said...

You should feel proud!

Hannah said...

Oooh! I love hearing things like this! What an awesome thing you get to do by experiencing this WITH other people. To see those transformations will be incredible. Good for you!

Unknown said...

Really cool! You should feel proud!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Unknown said...

I just love that she knew you'd be excited for her...she needs your inspiring words and motivation. Nice post!

MCM Mama said...

Very cool! I can't wait to hear all about your group.

institute of lraqi scholars & academician said...

thank you very much

Anonymous said...

I love when friends/family get involved! The new'ness is great!

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking for a while, and have finally decided to offer a quick hello.
You are such a great encouragement for new runners. I bet your friend is very thankful. I've recently started running (again - I used to run before I had kids) and find your blog very interesting and uplifting.
So thanks. :-)

The Laminator said...

Congrats to your friend. It is so awesome to hear when a new friend takes up running. There's not much else that be more joyful than that. Awesome!

Denise said...

that's awesome. andy is going to run a 5k this summer so i've been running w/ him. he ran for 25 minutes straight last night and i was so proud and happy for him. i don't think he realized how big of a deal that was.

Lindsay said...

i love getting others hyped into running :) so exciting!

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...