Monday, December 20, 2010

Banner week!

I don't mean to gloat but, friends? I had a great week!

For starters, I had my highest weekly mileage since getting back to running: I logged 24 miles. That's the most that I've run in a week since last November -- waaaay back before I got pregnant. So, let's just say that I am happy about the 24!

I'm even happier about how my runs felt. My feet, which had been bothering me a few weeks ago, have held up well with the increased mileage (yeah, they hurt on and off but nothing like how they had been). I ran a few times on my treadmill and actually had a good time doing so (sure, Conal and Niall's company didn't hurt!). Best of all, I went out for a run on Saturday and just let my legs fall into a comfortable pace, looking at my Garmin only to press start and stop. My pace for the run ended up at 9min/mile, which just happens to be the pace I was planning to target for my April half marathon. I ran 6.26 miles at that pace and honestly felt like I could have kept going and going.

All told, this week has filled me with running confidence! I'm heading into 2011 with a short term goal to run a half-marathon in April and the past week has me convinced I can do it and do it well. With my legs gravitating to the 9min/mile pace, I know that with proper training, I can hold that for 13.1 miles and break 2 hours for the half. Yes, it will take a commitment to training but I'm ready for it. My training will start in about two weeks and right now I have a plan but I'm still tweaking it.

So, let me ask you this: As I tweak my plan, who has suggestions for me? Any good half marathon training advice or tips? Lay it on me. Thanks!

Hope you all had a great weekend!


~ Felice

12 comments:

misszippy said...

Way to go! I always loved that feeling of getting back in shape post-pregnancy (or post injury).

Advice for the 1/2--I would try to work up to a 14 mile long run at least twice before the 1/2. Try to set aside one day a week to target a few miles at your goal pace as well as throw in some tempo work. You'll have no problem!

Doctor Blondie said...

Ooh no sorry no advice. Am planning to run my first half marathon somewhere in 2011.

Marlene said...

Congratulations on a fantastic week!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Congrats!! Sounds like a great week! I am still figuring out running, so I can't ofer much in the way of advice!!

Darlene said...

Congrats - I knew you could do it. My half is Jan 16 so I'm obviously no expert - I have a 12 week plan which I started with 6 mi long runs and peaks at 12 on week 10.

J said...

Great job on the mileage! Well done! For your plan, I would say just try to get some tempo runs in or at least a run with miles at HM pace. That will help you know the pace you want to run!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Congrats on being back! Love that feeling! :)

Unknown said...

Great job on the 24! Keep that distance for another 2 or 3 weeks, then add tempos or increase it. You're flying right now so you want to make sure you build carefully.

Lindsay said...

I love it!! Gloat away mama :) glad the runs went well.

My .02? Be flexible - chasing little boys around is definitely a workout!

Heather said...

Awesome job. I have no suggestions. Just keep on keeping on!!

Suzy said...

Way to go!! You will do great at the half and your hard work will pay off.

Tim Wilson said...

Congrats on getting your miles back up! Good luck with your 2011 goals!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...