Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Candy Cane Kids Run race report

You think mama was the only one having a good race on Saturday? Oh, no. Conal was right there racing too, only he was handed candy at the end of his race and I had to wander around in my depleted state searching for coffee and water.

Wah, wah, wah . . .

The Candy Cane Kids Run took place a half hour before the Jingle Bell Run 5K on Saturday. There were only about 20 kids in the race, which was far fewer than Conal's first race, the Freihofer's Kids Run, where there were so many kids that they had to start in waves. And there were no race bibs or t-shirts, two things that Conal fully expected to receive. When I told him that this was a small race so they didn't have bibs or tees, he didn't believe me. "Nooooooo! You is wrong!" Sorry, kid, I'm right. And, you know what? That's life.

Once he came to grips with the fact that he was indeed the wrong one (and I was right! Ha ha!), he was ready to race. He lined up next to his friends, the sibling pair Luke and Leah, and waited for the word, "GO!"

Check him out -- puffy jacket as streamlined racing gear? Hey, it kept him warm!


Once the race started, the kid took off. Go, Conal, go! But then he stopped, turned, and waited for his friends, Luke and Leah, who -- in pure adorable fashion -- were running hand-in-hand. Running hand-in-hand slows you down a bit so they were behind and I guess Conal didn't want them to fall too far back. So, he'd wait. Then, once they'd get a little closer, he'd take off again. He did this several times. It was, as they say, too cute.

The race was a 3/10ths of a mile loop around a pond and I'm proud to say that my little guy managed the whole loop. In fact, I'd say he showed that he has a little Happy Runner in him:
 

 

That's some kind of joy right there, people. Happy running.

And then, at the finish line, he collected his candy cane and moved on. In search of yogurt. Which they didn't have, but that he expected because, you know, they had it at his last race. This kid is nothing if not full of expectations. 

Can't wait to find out what he expects from his next race.

~ Felice

17 comments:

Manderz said...

Love the race report for Conal!! It really was "too cute" and I teared up watching him. Cant wait for it to be Niall's turn :)

Unknown said...

that's awesome!! Go Conal!

Marlene said...

What a cutie, from the expectations to runing ahead and then waiting for his friends. Gotta love it!

Emz said...

the
best
photos
ever.

Priceless and adorable.

Anonymous said...

too cute- I love kids during the holidays :)

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Wil Travel said...

Oh good, I was hoping for a post on the kids' race one, too!

You know, with his proclivity for waiting for his friends, he'd make a natural adventure racer :)

misszippy said...

LOVE IT! So darn cute...and love that he had all his race expectations lined up. Hope yours went well too.

Fruit Fly said...

I love it!! I hope if I ever get to have my own little one that he/she will want to run -- and then be just as happy! And if my little runner is anything like me, he/she will fully expect a bib and prizes, too!

ajh said...

Adorable race report! How sweet that he waited for his friends.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing children racing. Their excitement is contagious! Wish we could bottle it up!

Lindsay said...

love it! he is too precious. congrats to conal! i just love his happiness and expectations :)

Unknown said...

Great to see people still running in the colder season. I prefer to run in the cold (less people) hahaha! Anyway I like to share a good site that sells Disposable Jackets. They are VERY warm for being as light as they are. They are called sheddable shells, take a look at them. Look at their testimonials while you are there too.

Sheddable Shell - disposable marathon clothing

Unknown said...

Oh he is too darn cute! I'm with him, I like my medals and tee's too!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Unknown said...

how freaking cute is he?! i love the pictures and that he would stop and wait. aren't kids the best!!

B.o.B. said...

Definitely too cute! I'm totally running in a fluffy jacket. Brrr!

Mari said...

I want a fluffy jacket! lol Way to go Conal! :)

Unknown said...

Yeah! Kids are so cute. I liked the fluffy jacket but loved to used arteryx jackets for racing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...