Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Are you negative?

Apparently, I am not.

And, in racing, that's less than ideal. In racing, negative -- as in, negative splits (running the second half of the race faster than the first) -- is a positive. I am rarely a negative splitter. At least not in any distance longer than 5K.

Take a look at Saturday's splits:

7:18
7:29
7:32
7:41
7:39
7:43
7:20 pace for last .2 or so

Not negative at all. But then, for my last 5K, I ran the right way:

7:37
7:26
7:24
6:17 pace for last .1

Started conservatively and then sped up. Just like all the training books, articles, web sites recommend. Granted, I ran a PR with those positive splits and just missed a PR when I ran negative ones.

Hundreds . . . thousands of running experts can't be wrong! Right?

I know running negative splits is the right thing to do and I wish I was better at it. So, as I start looking forward to my marathon training, one of the things I plan to focus on is running negative splits. Most of what I've read recommends shooting for even splits in the marathon -- something that is easier to do if you regularly run negative splits in your shorter races.

I'll be practicing what I read, and here's a small sample of some of what I've read:

Let the Tempo Come to You
Negative Splits Equal Positive Results
The Positive of Negative Splits
Race Pacing Calculator

I've got plenty of time to refine what works for me. Maybe by May I'll be consistently negative.

Then again, I might just end up staying positive. We'll see!

What about you: Do you run negative splits in your best races? 
Or, do you eschew the advice and start out strong and just try to hold on?



~ Felice

6 comments:

Tami mommy of Ten said...

I rarely have done the negative splits and mostly I have PRd and had the freeing that I drained the last ounce of energy when I have just run crazy and all over there mile splits! Those are the races I am crawling and depleted of all energy. Those are the ones I knew I could NOT have run a better race. I hate when I finish and feel I could have done a little better. Yes, I always wish I had run faster but sometimes you just can't!

Darlene said...

I am NEVER negative. Subconsciously I know I will fade at the end and I know that I will need to make that up in the beginning.

J said...

It has taken me years to learn to run negative splits, especially at the shorter distances. I think the importance of pacing during training definitely helps you to learn how to pace and then negative split in a race.

Unknown said...

i practice running negative splits, i plan to run negative splits, and usually in the heat of the moment, I mess it all up

Quix said...

I'm great at negative splits on the treadmill, but I'm not good at all on the roads. Last training cycle I ran all my tempo and progression runs on the treadmill, this time, I'm trying to do half and half.

When I'm really trained up and it's an A race I usually try to hold to a certain goal pace. When it's a race I'm just running and hoping I can pull a PR out of my hiney, I usually go out fast and hope I can hang on. :)

Lora Abernathy said...

Nothing negative over here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...