Monday, November 21, 2011

What do you do when you can't run?

Me? I spend some time in compression shorts, eat a lot of waffles, and revel in the irony involved in registering for a marathon while nursing an injury.

My marathon? It's this one:

May 6, 2012

I did it. I hit submit. My money is theirs.

There is no turning back.

I am excited. And more than a little nervous. Rational Me knows that my hamstring injury is temporary and I'll be back running in no time. Irrational Me thinks I may be hobbled for life. Life! And how will I run a marathon if I'm hobbled for life?

(Irrational Me can get a tad dramatic.)

In all seriousness, my hamstring has gotten a little better since I stopped running and started my RICE campaign last week. As the acronym suggests, I've been resting, icing, compressing and, well, I haven't actually been elevating. Bit of a failure, there. I'll get on that.

I've also been gently stretching, foam rolling, and strengthening. I have high hopes for the next six months so I need my hamstring to get in line. Rogue hamstrings are not allowed. Nope, not allowed at all.

So, what do you do when you can't run?

Happy Monday, everyone!


~ Felice

14 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm currently battling a killer case of Plantar fasciitis, so my no running approach is to pout, whine, basically make everyone else as miserable as I am...ok, that is what I'm trying NOT to do....I'm focusing on cross training, the exercises I can do and rehabing this injury. It is difficult!

Good luck! You'll definitely be ready in May!

Darlene said...

a lot of whining...and yoga!

Marlene said...

Registering for a marathon is ALWAYS a good remedy! Congrats!! Can't wait to follow along. I hope that hamstring gets better QUICK.

Anonymous said...

Yoga! I actually haven't been in a while.
Other than that I hike and pout.

Michelle said...

I love the drama! I too think I will be injured for LIFE! :) I have started Yoga in the last few weeks and LOVING it!!!!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I spend a little more time in the kitchen - made copycat Larabars recently. Hope you heal soon!

Jill@Run for the Hills said...

Story of my life these past few weeks! Cleaning, reading, craft projects, planning, registering for races, crying. Lotsa stuff. :)

J said...

i am the worst at RICE. I hate resting. When I cant run I usually cross train on the bike. I have taken up a new thing, rowing, per my ART guy's suggestion. Seems to give me a good workout when I cant run.

Emily @ Journey to the Center of Manhattan said...

Good for you!! When I can't run, I always tell myself I'll do core work or the exercise bike, but it always ends up being a couple extra hours of sleep. Although I justify it by reminding myself that my body needs some rest time to heal itself!

justme said...

i spin and swim if i can't run.

i will be doing the half of the NJ - it is right in my hood !! it is a great race.....

Lindsay said...

How exciting!!

Suzy said...

I am so excited for you!! You are registered. :)

Mary said...

Im having hamstring issues too, so I am running the bare minimum and doing a lot of xtraing - way more than I would like!

Fruit Fly said...

This sounds exactly like something I would do! When I hurt my IT band and could barely walk the logical thing (in my mind) was to spontaneously register for another half marathon less than a month away!

And definitely - must live in running clothes even if I can't run. It just makes me feel better.

Happy healing! Hopefully it goes by fast and you can be back at it soon!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...