Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Interval training ~ life-with-toddler style.

Yesterday was a beautiful, warm sunny day. But I didn't get to run outside. Sure, I got to enjoy playing baseball-hockey with my boys in the driveway and going for a nice li'l walk but I didn't get to run.

Instead, I ran in the basement on the treadmill.

On the schedule? Easy run.

In reality? Interval run -- life-with-toddler style.

Started smooth -- nice and easy 3/4 of a mile at a warm-up pace of 10 min/mile. Hopped off to retrieve the toddler's soccer ball from under the trampoline.


Bumped up pace to 9:30 min/mile for almost a quarter mile. Hopped off to put together popper "thingy" so toddler could play.


Back on the 'mill, right back to 9:30 min/mile then down to 9 min/mile for just over a half mile. Hopped off to demonstrate -- at preschooler's request -- the "jack-knife" on the trampoline. 


Two dozen jumps later, I was back on the 'mill. Bumped up the pace and ran fast for almost another mile. Hopped off to pull toddler off the stairs.


Back on for a tenth of a mile. Pulled toddler off stairs, again.


Just over a quarter mile -- fast! Back off to demonstrate -- again -- the jack-knife. And a straddle jump. And re-start the popper "thingy." And retrieve the toddler's water bottle from under the couch.


On again for a mile. Nice and easy. Off to console crying toddler.


Back on at a walking pace, while holding toddler (cool-down and weight training!). Hopped off when toddler started squirming, wanting to play again with his big brother.


I did not get back on. After my "cool-down" I was more worn out than my almost 4 mile run would suggest.

That, my friends, is how treadmill running goes for the Happy Runner these days. Run, run, jump on the trampoline, run, run. Yup. That's life with a toddler.

Fingers crossed for an outdoor run today!

~ Felice

5 comments:

Unknown said...

at least you're running. i didn't do squat when my kids were little.

Marlene said...

I don't know how you do it with so many "interruptions" - trampolining sounds fun though!! Hope you can get outdoors today.

Michelle said...

Love it! You are amazing. The trampoline sounds so fun! Good luck on the outdoor run today.

Bridget said...

I can just imagine you demonstrating the jack knife! Love it!

Jessica said...

Ah the joys of combining toddlerhood and running! It's like circuit training!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...