Monday, March 26, 2012

Marathon training modifications.

Ten weeks down, six to go.

About two weeks ago, I took some time to review where I was with my training -- what has been working, what hasn't, what I think I need to change -- and then I modified my training plan to make the most of the remaining weeks before the marathon.

It was a good exercise for me and I'd recommend it for anyone training for a race. When I started my marathon training, I was at Point X in terms of endurance, speed, marathon-running ability. At the half-way point, I was at Point Y. Things had changed. I knew more about my strengths and weaknesses. I had adapted to the training so I needed to modify my schedule.

Overall, the modified plan is quite similar to the original. The basics remain the same. But I've made some tweaks and I'm happy with it so far -- let's hope I'm happy with it on marathon day!

Here's what the upcoming week looks like:



My second 20-miler is on Sunday! I'm already in "can't wait" mode. This marathon training is really bringing out my inner-geek!

Do you reflect on your training at the half-way point (or thereabouts)? 
Do you modify your plan? Think I'm crazy for doing so?

Have a great week, everyone!

~ Felice

8 comments:

Michael said...

I tend to adjust my plan quite frequently. I find that not only does it help me fine tune it to my current state of health and abilities, but it keeps it fresh and exciting. I hate just following a plan without exception, because life just isn't like that.

Hope you have a great run on Sunday...I plan on running long myself so I'll be thinking of you !

Felice Devine said...

Thanks!! Enjoy your run, too!

Cécy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cécy said...

I adjust it if my schedule requires it. Sometimes adding some small easy runs because I need it for myself, sometimes skipping a harder workout because it doesn't fit. But the only major change I've done on my training plan is to add a 2nd 20 mile run.

Marlene said...

I think it's always beneficial to re-evaluate mid-cycle. Things sure seem to be working well for you! Have a great week.

Molly said...

I had to tweak my plan a bit for my last marathon because I had knee issues, but marathon day went just great!!

Running Girl said...

I am training for a half, but I've tweaked my plan quite a bit - mostly to accommodate a couple of 15Ks that I wanted to run in between. I'm going to rejoin my official plan next week, when I'm done with the second race. We'll see how it goes. :-) It's my first half, so my first real training plan to follow!

Tough Guy said...

That's a great job, Congratulations and Good luck to the upcoming race. Thanks for sharing this to us too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...