Monday, December 24, 2012

Scott Jurek and Food for (my) Life.

Have you read Eat and Run by Scott Jurek? If you haven't, let me tell you: It's a great book and I highly recommend it. His story is an interesting one: Growing up as a meat-eating, hunting-and-fishing Midwesterner; becoming a vegan; developing into an elite ultra-runner.



I read the book about a month so ago and as I was doing so, I experienced a funny coincidence. In the book, Scott Jurek talks about his love of a particular bread, the Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain bread. Just so happens I was invited to try out this bread for review and two luscious loaves of the Sprouted Grain Flax bread were delivered when I was about halfway through the book.

A sign? Perhaps.

You see, Scott Jurek rocks. He doesn't just run those crazy ultra-races, he wins them. He runs far and fast. I have no desire to get into the ultra-running world but, yeah, I'd take a little more speed and endurance. I mean, who wouldn't?

So, the bread. This stuff:



It is in no way your regular bread. Nope. It is made of sprouted grains, not flour. But, looks aside, the stuff is good. Really good. I love it. My boys, who I thought would scoff at the idea of even trying bread that looked so different from the norm, love it as well. So much so that I had to actually cut my younger son off. He wanted to eat too much of it and, well, his digestive system just wasn't up to the task of so many sprouted grains.

The bread is hearty and filling. And it is tasty. It makes great toast! I'm sold.

You can learn more about Food for Life on their web site. I'd never tried their sprouted grain breads before but, honestly, I'm now a fan. One of my favorite things is that Food for Life doesn't use any GMO ingredients in their products. That is the mark of a good company in my book!

Would I buy this with my own money? Sure would. In fact, I already have. Yes, the bread is much more expensive than the regular supermarket bread but it is also better. (I think it is about $4.99 a loaf at my local Price Chopper but I've been lucky to find $1 off coupons to use, which helps! Check out CommonKindness to see if they still have printable coupons.)

Have you tried any of the Food for Life Sprouted Grain products? 
Which is your favorite?

~ Felice




Review disclaimer: I was sent two loaves of bread for review. I was not otherwise compensated and the opinions expressed are entirely my own. I read Scott Jurek's book on my own. Took it out of the library, in fact!



2 comments:

Amy Lauren said...

I've tried a few of the Ezekiel products and they are really good- I think the one I tried was just the basic sprouted grain bread but I noticed they have sesame now and hamburger buns, I think.

It's a little pricier, but the coupons help, and keeping the bread in the freezer, none of it goes bad so you can use the whole loaf. It's definitely worth the splurge. Would love to win the giveaway.

Amy Lauren
proudpatriot2007(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anonymous said...

I love that bread!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...