Friday, July 22, 2011

Healthy meals & deals: Garden Delight Pasta!

I've become something of a crazy couponer. No, I'm not going to go all Extreme Couponing anytime soon. But, I have become more organized and diligent about using my coupons -- and that has led me to score some major deals.

If you've ever seen Extreme Couponing, though, you know that those folks tend to stock up on some pretty unhealthy grub (500 packs of Mentos, anyone? How about 150 fried chicken frozen dinners?). And that is totally not my style. I'm trying to use my coupons for good, and good healthy meals.

So . . . I figured I would share my big wins and let you all know about my deals and healthy meals!

First up, Ronzoni Garden Delight!

My 6 boxes o' cheap pasta!

This veggie pasta is a staple in my house. We love it! It's healthy but it is generally a lot pricier than regular ol' white pasta, especially store brand. Last week, my Price Chopper had the Ronzoni Garden Delight on sale for 10 boxes for $10 -- $1 a box. That is a good deal because it is usually around $1.69-$1.89 per box in most stores. I saw the sale price and immediately popped over to the Ronzoni web site and saw a coupon for $.50 of two boxes. My Price Chopper doubles coupons so it turned into $1 off two. I was able to print the coupon 3 times.

I went to the store and bought 6 boxes of the pasta for a whopping $3 -- or $.50 a box! Compared to the regular price of $1.89 (which I often paid before I got into the couponing) that's a super deal!

Couponing Tip: When you see a good deal advertised in the paper, or you plan to buy a specific brand for some other reason, always check the brand's web site to see if they have a printable coupon available. You never know -- you could score a high-value coupon (or 3!).

And now, my healthy and inexpensive dinner!

Garden Delight Pasta with Balsamic Tuna and Peas


3/4 box of pasta (cooked) cost: <$.50
2 cans of solid white tuna (drained) cost: $2
1 c. frozen peas (added to pasta right at the end of cooking) cost: <$.50
chiffonade of fresh basil, some balsamic vinegar, some olive oil, 1 tbs dijon mustard, salt, pepper (whisk vinegar, oil, mustard then add basil, salt, pepper) cost: ? not much -- basil is from our garden

Mix it all together and voila! Easy, inexpensive, healthy dinner!

Dinner!

Using my super deals the total cost for this meal was about $3 and that fed three people! Try it sometime -- I hope you like it!

Do you have a favorite veggie pasta recipe? Link 'em up in the comments -- I love to try new recipes!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

~ Felice


Disclosure: I bought all of the ingredients myself and was not asked to post about them -- I just want to share my deals and meals!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Love Garden Delight too! I am not a great couponer, but envy those who have that skill. My husband's boss was bragging to him the other day about how she scored a pair of pants and a belt for 29 cents. I can't imagine...

Unknown said...

I took a couponing class last week! It takes a lot of organization and time to coupon, that's for sure! Hopefully I will be able to score a few deals myself!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Great deal! And your recipe looks good, too! Here's a pesto pasta recipe from Deena Kastor that I've bookmarked: http://bit.ly/fwhlDR.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...