Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Un-greetings.

There are two women who walk in my neighborhood, usually two nights a week. They don't live here; they drive here and park their cars at the end of my street and then walk together. I see them all the time because they tend to walk around 8-ish and that's often when I head out for my evening -- OK, night-time -- runs.

Anyway, I've seen these women about 3 dozen times. I've made eye contact, raised my hand in a little wave, and said, "Hi!" about 3 dozen times. And you know what? For each of those 3 dozen times, I've gotten no response whatsoever. None. Nada.

These women are not deaf. I hear them talking to each other.

These women speak English, so I assume they know the word, "Hi."

They simply do not respond at all to my greetings. How d'ya like that?


So I gave up and stopped greeting them. I saw them about four times after I stopped and then I didn't see them for a while -- we were away, maybe they were, too. Whatever, I hadn't seen them in a while. Last night, though, they were out walking while I was out running.

I passed them as I was entering one of the cul-de-sacs. I made eye contact with one woman. I raised my hand in a little wave. And I said, "Hi there!" All cheery-like.

NOTHING.


Not even a half-smile or a murmur. Nothing.

So I kept running and then, wouldn't you know it, I was going to be face-to-face with them as I was exiting a different cul-de-sac. Fine, ladies, let's see what you've got. I looked at them. They did not look at me. As I got closer, I thought about saying something again, giving it another shot, but no. I didn't. They weren't looking in my direction so I just ran by. Silently.

Who are these women? What have they got against greetings?

Dunno. Guess I won't ever know. Oh, well!

And, oh, yeah. About that run, the first of this half-marathon training cycle. Umm . . . it sucked. Seriously. Really sucked. Go, half-marathon training, go!


Eh, what can you do? I rarely have a cruddy run so I was probably just due.

Run on, folks!

~ Felice

24 comments:

JC said...

double rude that they aren't even from your neighborhood!

I like saying hi to randoms when I run because it forces me to smile, which makes my run better. But I do think it's odd when someone doesn't say hello back, or at least smile. what gives?

Amanda@runninghood said...

I can so relate to this! I always find this lack of response to my waves or hellos to be so odd. I don't how I could just ignore someone like that. It happens in Oregon too if it makes you feel less alone. :)

Marlene said...

GAH it drives me crazy when people blatantly ignore a greeting. Is it so hard??

J said...

Geez I just hate people who are like that. Sometimes I just wave to ppl or say good morning. Depends but I always try to do something. I just hate how ppl wont even acknowledge you!

Darlene said...

Your half training is better than mine. I've tagged you today on my blog.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

That's horrible! Really rude imo. Heck even on my morning runs I say hello or goodmorning to strangers who aren't running or even walking. It's just nice to be polite!

Unknown said...

I always say hi to the people I pass during my runs. I did get a bit peeved yesterday while running when a kid (ok so he was probably like 20) slowed to a stop and tried to have a conversation with me! It totally messed with my flow.

http://rundreamcook.blogspot.com

Colorado Gal said...

That's just bizarre! Even if I'm preoccupied or talking or something, I'll at least give the half smile with an eyebrow raise. Oh well....at least you know that you've been the bigger person :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

Rude people suck.

Lisa said...

I get that at work sometimes too and I have an involuntary eye roll as a reaction. It seems more awkward/difficult to NOT return the greeting, doesn't it??

Holly said...

I said "hi" last night to two "larger" women during my neighborhood run.

One said back "You go girl!"

The other says to her friend "Wish I had a body like that."

Nuff said!

Megan said...

I don't know WHY it pisses me off so much, but I hate when that happens! My new next door neighbors, for instance. (Well, there's a drainage ditch separating us.) I'll wave, and they just look. No smiling, no waving, nothing. I'll say hi. They won't say anything back. I'm like WTF aren't neighbors supposed to at least pretend to be friendly?

Michelle said...

UGH! Rude people piss me off! I love that(the majority) of the people you pass ESPECIALLY fellow runners are so friendly! Its like one big family that is recognized with the nod and "morning". Pretty amazing! You should run by and kick them in the shin! They are jealous cause all they can do is walk :) Hope you have a great day! Train hard! :)

massage momma said...

I feel the same. On my long runs I pass quite a few people and I always give a wave, smile and say "Morning" or "Hi". It amazes me at the amount of people that say nothing or don't even bother to acknowledge me. As other people have said, I don't understand how you can flat out ignore someone like that.

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

You should just start saying weirder and weirder things to them every time you see them.

"Banana!"
"Marble Doodle Holder!"
"Ooblik!"

Anonymous said...

I don't always respond in a vocal way as sometimes I'm huffing and puffing, but I always nod or smile at least, or even give a little handwave. I don't know I feel that it's a bit of a strangers' community and that it's nice to recognize other runners.
Those ladies aren't up to date with runner's etiquette

Bridget said...

Some women are just bitches. They are probably just jealous of your running legs.

Unknown said...

Some folks are anti social. When I feel like really trying to get someone to talk back when I run by I say something like "Beautiful morning, isn't it?"

Anyway, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. Not sure why they won't acknowledge you.

ajh said...

I hate it when people don't say hi back. How much effort does that take?

ihaverun said...

When I run outside, I'm always amazed how many runners and bikers blatantly look away or avoid eye contact to avoid having to say 'Hi." What is wrong with people?

I'm glad you aren't one of them. I promise to give you a big wave if I ever see you running =)

Grace said...

They just continue to go by without acknowledging you at all? So rude! Even I'm wiped out I'll give a wave or nod. It's just courteous, right?

Melissa said...

It's kind of funny if you think about it, I mean, no sense in being offended because it will just bother you and affect your run...humm, that kinda happened.
Sometimes I just don't have the energy to say a word but I usually try to at least smile because smiling feels good!

Happy Training!

Mel said...

It drives me crazy when people don't respond to a wave, nod, or hi. It happens more at one of the parks here than it does down in downtown Austin or even my neighborhood.

I have noticed that some of it may be cultural. At least around here, but I still don't get it.

5 Miles Past Empty said...

What in the world? I don't get it. This is kind of awkward now, isn't it? I would so want to say something like Wow, in this neighborhood we act neighborly towards others....or CAN YOU HEAR ME! Or hey, look out for that DOG! And run really fast in the other direction. HAAA! yeah, you should freak them out totally!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...