Thursday, April 5, 2012

Born Wicked (review)

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood is the first in her Cahill Witch Chronicles series. Now, I'm not usually a series kind of gal. And I've really avoided the whole adults-gone-crazed-with-YA-series trend.


And yet here I am, finished with Born Wicked, wanting to read the second book in the series.

Who am I?


Born Wicked isn't the best book I've ever read. But it was pretty good and definitely grabbed my attention and kept it. The story is interesting and unfolds in a way that kept me wanting to know more, to know what happens next. The character development left a little to be desired but I'm thinking that's the way it is in this type of series. I expect that this first book laid out the story and created some conflicts and that those conflicts and the characters will be developed more in the next book. We'll see.

In short, the book is the story of the Cahill sisters, three witches living in a New England that is run by the Brothers. The Brothers are pretty anti-witch and hunt them out whenever possible. Girls and women who are suspected of being witches are ripped away from their families and sometimes go to trial, sometimes don't. They usually end up convicted, whether they are witches or not, and are sent to live at Harwood, some terrible place that the Cahill girls, and others like them, fear.

So, the Cahill girls keep their witchery a secret. Cate, the oldest of the three girls, has been watching out for her younger sisters since their mother -- also a witch -- died a few years earlier. It is a burden for Cate and, at the time covered in the book, she struggles with that burden while also struggling to decide what she'll do when she has to announce her "intention" in front of the Brothers. This intention ceremony is something every girl of her age has to go through, where they announce what they'll do with their lives -- whether (and whom) they'll marry or join the Sisterhood.

Cate faces a tough decision and the one she makes comes right at the end of the book. For me, it was disappointing. But, as I said earlier, I think it was just a set-up for the next book.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and I since I started the series, I'll have to read the next one. How can I not, right? Right.

Have you read Born Wicked? What did you think? 


~ Felice

1 comment:

Borgogna said...

Truck Race 3D Another Big Rig 3D truck racing game where you Does your remote control model come sealed against dust and moisture intrusion into the motor compartment and gear areas? Make sure you dig a mud hole, or bog pit, for added excitement in your race event. of your favorite Monster Truck driving games. ALL TIME HIGH SCORE: HILLARY: 8380: DAILY HIGH SCORES: 1 SEAN: 2472: 2 ETHAN: 2009: 3 A for bigfoot monster trucks toy Robotic & Radio Control Toys in Toys & Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...