Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Favorite marathon workout.

I have a new favorite workout, my friends. I still love the long run (woo hoo ~ 22 on the schedule for Sunday!) and I'll always be a fan of 400s at 5K pace and 200s at mile pace.

But! This new favorite rocks and I really, really, really hope it sets me up to run well on May 6th.

The workout in question? Two-mile repeats. I love this workout. To paraphrase Ferris, the workout is choice.

Today was the second time I knocked off two-mile repeats. (They've been on the schedule three times but I had to miss one workout when I was sick.) The way that I run them is like this:

1.5 miles warm-up (going from 10:00 pace to 9:00 pace)
2 miles at slightly faster than marathon goal pace (around 8:20)
quarter mile rest
2 miles as above (8:20 pace)
1.25 miles cool-down
7 miles total

It rocks! Because the pace is not killer, I never feel like I'm dying while running the fast portions. But, two miles is a fairly long fast interval, so I definitely feel like I am pushing it and making myself work. Since I run them at a little faster than marathon goal pace, the workout is a good mental one. A confidence booster, for sure.

My one regret with this training cycle is that I haven't run two-mile repeats more often. And I wish I could do three of them, instead of just two. But, I have the time for two so that's what I do.

I'm already looking forward to running them next week!

What is your favorite running workout? 
Any other two-mile repeat lovers out there?


Thanks for stopping by!

~ Felice

6 comments:

Bill Fine said...

love that workout.....it's one I definitely plan to work in when I'm training for my fall marathon!

justme said...

been doing 400 repeats but i think i recall enjoying some mile repeats....

Anonymous said...

I'm an 800 meter interval girl. I love that I can watch my fastest intervals get faster over the course of my training schedule. But, I'm also starting to throw in some mile repeats at slightly-faster-than-5K-pace. Since I just started doing speed work this year, I am loving seeing the improvement.

Kenley said...

If you don't repeat it does it count? lol. I do the same but it's more like 4 or so miles with the middle 2 miles slightly faster than mp. But with that said, I will have to give it a go. Right now, my favorite work out for training is fartlek runs on the treadmill, but I do it by time rather than distance. 5 minutes go go, then 5 minutes slower. It's fun

Suzy said...

It is a great workout, but I do a 1 mile warm/rest/cool with the 2 miles in the middle...still end up with 7 miles. Maybe I'll change it up and rest less and warm up more. Tks for the idea.

Camacho said...

But with a limited supply that cannot be increased for forseable future, this means sky high prices for silver. happiness and prosperity becomes very clear for individuals, groups and even If the price is over then you will want a higher number, my advice is to get something with a number lower than 1 for stocks under $10. Look Before You Invest For Flats In Noida The tracking error of ETFs is generally lower than traditional index funds due to the -œin-kind- creation / redemption facility and the low expense ratio.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...