Monday, February 8, 2010

I am not invincible.

I thought that I was.

I don't catch colds because I run. I have tons of energy because I run. I'm so healthy that those kids with the mucusy faucets for noses can't touch me because I run.

Oh, such foolery.

This weekend, I learned that, no, I am not invincible. Running may rock, but it can't protect me at all times. This weekend, I came down with a . . . cold.

I am grateful that I made it for this long without contracting anything. But, man. I wanted to get through the entire cold-and-flu season of 2009-2010 unscathed. Oh, well. It was only a matter of time, really. Last week, almost everyone I saw was either sick, getting over "something" or on the verge of coming down with "something."

I felt my "something" coming on late Friday afternoon. So what did I do? I didn't run, that's what I didn't do. Instead, I cross-trained. Looking back, a run may have helped me ward off the cold, but maybe not. Saturday's awesome run surely helped keep the cold from exploding and, today, even after a crappy night's sleep last night, I don't feel too bad. I shouldn't complain. But when you have this grand idea that you are invincible, and then you learn that you are not, well . . . it crushes you a little. Just a little.

So, that's that. Wha, wha. I feel 90% today so let's consider this cold thing behind us. Common cold? I'm done with you!

Have a great week, everyone! I've got a fleece-rific giveaway over here, so please check it out!

~ Felice

28 comments:

Jen said...

Way to help me put my health in perspective... glad you are feeling better.

joyRuN said...

Say wha?!

Running moms aren't invincible?

Crap.

Marlene said...

Aw, sorry to hear that. I've been feeling particularly invincible myself lately and bragging that I haven't had a cold in as long as I can remember... better knock wood!

Get well soon!

Pining for Pinterest said...

I am sorry to hear that you were not feeling good. I feel like I get sick all of the time since I am a teacher and have two small kids at home. Even with running I have to face all of this sickness. I hope you are feeling better and you have a wonderful week!

Janice {Run Far} said...

you are so cute. I like to think us runners are invincible too.

ShutUpandRun said...

Glad you're feeling better. Even us runners are mere mortals...

Ewa said...

You got better so soon BECAUSE you are a runner.

Anonymous said...

sorry about your cold! my husband came down with the same thing Friday evening!

Indi said...

I just went through the same thing and it certainly makes you respect what your body needs.

Tricia said...

glad youre feeling better!

Jill said...

um yeah, i got the same thing going on today. home from work (that's the plus side) and lying in bed doing nothing but online shopping and reading blogs. if i can't run, then this is the next ideal day. glad you are feeling lots better!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better now!

Heidi said...

Boy do I know that feeling! I used to get sick ALL the time. If someone withing a 10 miles radius was sick, I'd get it.

Since I started running I rarely get sick, but last week it caught me after the rest of the house came down with it. Although ... mine went away at least 4 times faster than everyone else. So, I'm pretty happy.

Hope you're feeling better ASAP!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

I've been sick all weekend! I wish I just had a cold :) consider yourself lucky

Abby said...

Well, at least it passed through your system quickly :)

Diana said...

I second those above. Maybe you got (are getting?) over it so quickly because you are healthy and run? I get sick for weeks...probably because of the lack of the run. I hope it has passed!

Lisa said...

So sorry to hear you're not feeling well! You're right, it can happen to all of us, even if we do everything 'right.' Hope you feel better soon!

ajh said...

My cold last week was brief brief brief. Could that be the running? I wish the same for you.

kara said...

I had a cold this weekend too! Must be a "running virus!" LOL

Im actually feeling better even though I ran a lousy race on Sunday....

PS> Drink plenty of fluids ; )

Unknown said...

Hey, I thought YOU were invincible too! Rest up and get well!

J said...

Well at least it wasn't a full blown cold! Hopefully today you will feel better!

Denise said...

Hope you're feeling better. Rest up!!

Heather said...

I tend to think I'm invincible too. Hope you feel better soon!

Jocelyn said...

Fingers crossed that you get better very soon!

Quix said...

Glad you're feeling better. I am hoping I don't have a little somethin' somethin' as well. Just in time for my half this weekend, heh. But I don't, because I *am* invincible (that's what I'm going to keep telling myself).

misszippy said...

Funny how we all think running keeps us safe from all bad things health related! Hope you feel all healed up soon

The Laminator said...

No. Runners aren't invincible...no matter how much we would like to think that we are! Hope you're feeling better!

Stuart said...

Yeah we all get the sniffs, think healthy thoughts and you'll bounce back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...