Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lighten up.

I'm back among the living. But before I tell you all about that, let me get to some good news: The Gotein winner!

Thanks to everyone who entered. The winner (chosen using random.org) is Heather from The World Through My Eyes. Congrats! Send me an email at felicehalf at yahoo dot com and I'll send you your goodies!


*     *     *

OK, so, back among the living. Yes, indeed.

For the past week or so I was going bonkers with business writing. Spelling rules (i before e except after c . . . ), punctuation (the apostrophe is for possession and contraction only, not for plural . . .), the use and mis-use of PowerPoint. I've covered it all. And now I am done. Deadline met.

And just in time for the long holiday weekend. Phew!

I still made time for some runs and plenty of fun with my boys because, after all, that is my job. The fun with the boys part, that is. I can only wish that running was my job. Maybe someday.

Speaking of which, I contemplated taking the RRCA coaching course that is going to be offered in NYC in September but it sold out just. like. that. Coaching dreams on-hold for a while longer.

Sigh.


Anyway, today I am taking a leap and heading out to my local Fleet Feet to grab up some light weight racing shoes. Racing flats? Probably not that light but I am looking for something lighter than the shoes I wear right now. I have plans people and my biggest one right now is to get my half-marathon time down to around 1:45 (my current PR is 1:49). Lighter shoes could help. So would giving up ice cream but do I really want to do that?

Nah.

(Do not judge.)

We'll see how it goes with the lighter shoes. I love my current running shoes -- my dear Somnios -- but I think that for speed work and races, lighter will be better.

Do you race or do speedwork in lighter shoes? Do you like them? 
Have the lighter shoes made a difference for you?

I'd love to know.

Off to get speedy -- and, hey, I just happen to have speedwork on the schedule tonight. Running serendipity!

Have a great day!

~ Felice

9 comments:

Samantha said...

I eat lots of ice cream and I don't have lighter shoes for racing. Crap.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Racing flats definitely! Its hard to find them though. I end up ordering online.

And please stick out your tongue at the Fleet Feet people. They mocked me when I was looking for flats in there years ago. They said "No no no! Its too dangerous to run distance in flats!"

Yeah, and they sell Vibrams now. Grrrrr.

Darlene said...

Too bad about the coaching conference. That would be perfect for you!! I eat a lot of ice cream too! You can get lighter shoes (Sauconys for ex) without getting flats.

J said...

I wear brooks ghost 3s and they are semi light. Not racing shoes but light and I like them. Definitely better than my heavy asics. But they do take a little time to get used to for long long runs. I remember after my 16 miler the bottoms of my feet were sore cause there is less cushioning!

Julie D said...

I run in the same shoes for speedwork... I think it's just because I am not sure I need stability in my shoes for those, and I need that stability apparently.

Although, I do recall being in Track and Field and racing in SPIKES, which were the most awesome things ever. The feeling of your shoes gripping the track was like nothing else, so thrilling.

Colorado Gal said...

Yay thanks! I've never won anything before :)

Suzy said...

OK speedy, you have big plans and I'm sure the shoes will help. I love my shoes but really do want to transition to minimalist shoes for short distances.

Marlene said...

I recently got my first pair of racing flats (well, not 100% "flats" but they still call them that). I have used them for speed work once and in 2 short races, and plan to wear them for another 5K this weekend.

Will you plan to race the half marathon in the flats? If not, my concern would be that you will run faster in them for speed work but then your usual shoes will feel heavy on race day - KWIM? Not everyone can get away with so little support in a long distance race. Just a thought. :)

Have fun!

Unknown said...

Hi, I just found your blog! I am a fellow runner and I just received Gotein to review! I tried one after my long run this morning and was pretty impressed! I will try doing a giveaway once I get a few more followers! Happy racing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...