Monday, June 27, 2011

Trippy run.

It was a near catastrophe.

Yesterday afternoon, I went for a 9-mile run. It was a typical "mom" run in that I wasn't able to plan when I could get out there but just had to squeeze it in to my day. Owen had been away camping so I had to wait for him to return. Since he was camping where cell phone reception is spotty at best, he couldn't call to give me an ETA until he was pretty close to home. Then, I had to nurse the baby before I could hit the road. But no matter, I got out there around 12:45.

It was a terrific run. For the most part. You know, except for that near catastrophe.

I was powering along my hilly route, running at a strong pace and feeling great. About 8.2 miles into my run, though, I saw a BIG, SHARP, POINTY, EVIL rock right where I was about to step with my right foot. Fortunately, I was able to step quickly to the left and avoid the rock.

UNfortunately, I didn't see that there was another BIG, SHARP, POINTY, EVIL rock right in my new path. And, yes, my right foot did hit that rock and, yes, I did trip. And, of course, as I was falling, I saw MANY OTHER BIG, SHARP, POINTY, EVIL rocks.

But! Some how, some way, as I put my hands out in from of me, my left foot managed to jut out in front of my body and stop me from falling. Then, my right foot followed and, before I knew it, I was back running, almost as if nothing had ever happened.

My heart was racing, for sure, and my arms were all tingly. And my toes kinda hurt from where I stepped on that rock. But, other than that . . . catastrophe averted so I was fine.

If I had landed on any of those BIG, SHARP, POINTY, EVIL rocks, I surely would have cut and banged up my legs enough to possibly put me on the shelf for the rest of the summer. I kid you not. That's how evil those rocks were.

Trippy, trippy . . .

In the end, I finished my 9-mile run in a solid 8:40 pace. Today, I feel great. Bring on the Boilermaker!


Have a good week, everyone!

~ Felice

PS: Don't forget to enter my Gotein giveaway!

8 comments:

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

As someone who has tripped on many a run, you are LUCKY!

Marlene said...

YIKES! Talk about a close call. Glad you were able to stop yourself!!

Tricia said...

happy youre unscathed

Suzy said...

It sounds like you are running in very dangerous areas! I suggest playing it safe and either cleaning the path first (a push broom?) or going a different way to avoid potential injury. Way to go with the strong run.

CrumleyCrew said...

Be thankful you didn't do what I did a couple of weeks ago...tripped while running and now have a broken jaw. I am wired shut for the next 5 weeks. No more running for a while and only food though a straw.

J said...

Glad you didn't get all banged up on those rocks! You are definitely ready for boilermaker! Its going to be so much fun!

Molly said...

Glad you're okay!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for Boilermaker!!!! I'm not sure how ready I am, but I will be there with bells on :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...