Thursday, January 31, 2013

Here I Go Again! (review)

I was totally sucked into Here I Go Again, a new book by Jen Lancaster.




And that's not a bad thing. I needed a light, fun book because I've been all running books, all the time around here and sometimes you just need to shake it up.

Here I Go Again takes the ultimate high school mean girl, Lissy Ryder, and gives her a chance to right her (many, many) wrongs. But not before having her life come crashing down around her and being completely shown-up at her 20th reunion. Lissy travels back in time, thanks to a hippie classmate, and is a little less mean her second time around. Only, by doing so, she screws up the future of a lot of people who were spurred to greatness by her mean high school ways. So, she goes back again and fixes the changes to make things better once again.

As she travels back and forth, she learns about herself and why she was such a teen meanie.

Of course, at the end, it all ties up nicely and things end up all hunky-dory. But that's the nature of the book and, as I said, it was light and fun and I enjoyed it.

My one main problem with the book is that the narration (Lissy) was pretty annoying but that was probably the point. All in all, it was fun and I thought it would make a great vacation beach book.


Have you read Here I Go Again? 
Any of Jen Lancaster's other books? What did you think?

Thanks for stopping by!









This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

One Crazy Penguin said...

I've read a couple of her other books, but they were memoirs. I really liked them. An easy to read writing style and very easy to relate to and funny as heck! Highly recommended.

Melissa said...

I've read and enjoyed the books in her memoir series (Bitter is the New Black, Such a Pretty Fat, etc) I got to meet her at a local book signing and she was both hilarious and extremely nice!!

Andrea said...

Ha! She's the reason I started reading blogs - if you read Bitter is the New Black (her first book) she talks about temping at an empty office in the Sears Tower, and that was my office! I met her when she was a temp in Chicago and we all started reading her blog - hilarious! I read a couple more memoirs, but her ego seemed to be growing with age...

Zippy said...

Thanks for the review! I really loved her earlier works, her first 3 books were her best. I didn't like her last novel, so I was hesitant to try this new one. It sounds a lot more interesting than the last one, I think I'll give it a try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...