Monday, January 14, 2013

Sandy Hook 5K race report.

Remember when I wrote about reflecting some light?

At the time, I didn't know what to do, could barely think about what to say about the tragedy in Sandy Hook. All I could think was that it was our responsibility -- everyone's responsibility -- to be a little better, to reflect some light into the darkness.

There have been countless examples of people doing just that -- helping others, doing anonymous good deeds.

And another: Groups of runners, running in honor of the lives lost and in support of the lives left behind.


All of those children. And those adults who were entrusted with their care. All of those lives.

Gone.

On Saturday, this group of women ran in honor of those lives:



We ran in my neighborhood, my hilly, hilly, hilly neighborhood. Yes, I think my friends cursed me a little as they were plugging away up my hills. But, hills make you stronger!

And, anyway, this race wasn't about time. It was about reflecting some light. And I am proud that I was part of it.

We ran the 5K as part of Sandy Hook Elementary Memorial Virtual Half Marathon and 5K. Awesome runner and blogger Beth Shaw created the event and it took off, with thousands of runners donating $20 to a dedicated United Way fund and running their miles for Sandy Hook.

Last I read, 2000 runners had registered. Go, runners!

It was a great morning with a special group of women, all running for good. 
I loved it.

Hope you had a great weekend!

~ Felice




5 comments:

Mommy Run Fast said...

This is so beautiful... I love that term, running for the light. So cool that you rounded some women up to run for their memory!

Mommy Run Fast said...

*reflecting the light* you knew what I meant :)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

What a great thing to do!

Teamarcia said...

Reflecting light. I love that! How awesome of you and your friends to do that. : )

AmyC said...

What a great sized group! I am hoping to put together a group run in March here in NH.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...