Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fun with flax!

First, let me thank everyone who has left advice and suggestions about my rest days. I'm still sorting it out but I'm leaning toward full-on rest rather than cross training. But I may add some cross-training on my easy run days. We'll see. Feel free to leave additional advice or suggestions because, really, I can't get enough of them. I'm like an addict.

An addict with a muffin making addiction, apparently. (Addict with an addiction . . . hmm . . . I guess I'm hard-up for variety in my word choice today.) (And what about that topic change? Smooth, huh?)

This is where the "Fun with flax!" comes in to play. I've been creating muffin recipes lately, part of my attempt to healthify my diet. Today, I made a super-star batch that I have deemed to be healthy. I tried them and liked them. My toddler tried them and simply could not get enough of them. You are welcome to try them as well. Fully fortified my their goodness, I headed off (well, down, to my basement) for my tempo run. One muffin provided all the energy I needed to power on through. Granted, it was only 4.5 miles but I felt strong. Thanks, muffins!

Here's the recipe. Enjoy!

Flaxy Muffins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 12 cup muffin pan with Pam or similar spray oil. Or, you could use muffin liners. If you choose to use the liners, though, they can be tough to take off these muffins because they contain so little fat.

1-1/4c. flour (half whole wheat, half unbleached white)
1/4 c. flax meal
1 c. old fashioned oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

3 carrots, peeled, steamed and pureed in food processor
1 banana
1 c. 1% milk
1/2c. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (first 6 ingredients). Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon until well-combined. Add in dry ingredients and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy, so don't worry about trying to get it smooth.

Pour batter evenly into muffin cups. Bake for 20-22 minutes.

17 comments:

Chic Runner said...

I would totally try these, but flax makes me poo like no other!!! AHHHH! how embarrasing! :)

Denise said...

Recipe sounds like one worth trying!

Diana said...

Yummy. I'm looking forward to it!

What I got from the "rest" days comments is that you'll have to see what works for you! Dang, don't you wish everyone had all the answers!? I do.
Anyway, try the cross training one day and see what happens when you run next. My name is captain obvious :) But, do let us know if it is(n't) working for you!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

recipe sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing, will have to try them!

Marci said...

Mmm that sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

X-Country2 said...

All yummy and healthy stuff. Sounds excellent!

Casey said...

When I saw "Flax!" I thought, "Oh, boy. This is going to be about poo." I guess indirectly it is. What goes in must go out, flax muffins included.

This reminds me of a story:
Once, I was watching TV w/ my family dog (when I was living at home w/ the folks) and I thought he had fleas hanging around his posterior end. Upon closer inspection, I realized they were flax seeds, and promptly remembered that we had had a flax cracker party together the night before.

The end.

Anonymous said...

oooh Im glad Im not chicrunner (or cassandras dog!!) as I love my flax like nothing else.

Marcy said...

Ooooo I might just have to try this. But I'm a little worried after reading ChicRunner's comment HAHA

RunToTheFinish said...

I didn't know flax made poo... maybe that's been my issue lately hmm, good thing I read the comments to learn important things like that!

BeachRunner said...

For what it's worth (nothing), full on rest is what I do too.

Nice muffins. (Yikes that sounds pervy)

Marlene said...

Mmm, those sounds good. I'll give them a try for sure. Thanks!

Janice {Run Far} said...

yum-o... i am going to try these.

Gotta Run..... said...

keep the recipes coming!!!

tfh said...

Ooh! I love healthy baking and put flax in everything. (I also love unhealthy baking, but there is something adventurous and slightly devious about experimenting with flax and applesauce and prunes and beans and the like.) What I mean to say is, I am printing out this recipe and keeping it in my "sneaky veggie" repertoire.

Lori said...

Recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing. I really need to start getting into the habit of adding flax to my baked goods.

cathy said...

Oh yum! I'll be trying these for sure. I tried the 1/2 all-purpose, 1/2 wheat flour tip you left in the comments for my pumpkin muffins, and I'm sold! A great tip for a non-baker!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...