Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stinky!

I'm going to lay it all out there for you, Internet: My running clothes stink. Really stink. Stink as in people probably don't want to be around me when I have my running clothes on, even when the clothes are freshly laundered and I haven't yet begun to sweat. And when I do begin to sweat, well, that just releases all the trapped-in stinky stink and I feel a little like those people in the Southwest "Wanna get away?" commercials. Let's not even talk about what it is like after a run.

So I was excited when Runners' Lounge offered up samples of Penguin Sport-Wash for some bloggers to review. I waited for my sample. And I waited. With every day that passed, I grew increasingly convinced that my mail-lady had co-opted my sample because, I don't know, maybe her uniform was stinky? Lucky for me she hadn't. My sample arrived last week and I was practically giddy.

On Saturday, I put the detergent to the test with a week's worth of running and other workout clothes. My husband even brought his running clothes home (he runs during the day at work, lucky dude) so I tossed those in as well.

My initial observations: The Sport-Wash doesn't really smell. It has more of a non-scent smell to it. It's not detergenty, at least not in the Tide, All, or Arm & Hammer sort of way. Since it doesn't have a scent, it doesn't leave a scent on the clothes. I gave my clothes a good whiff after the wash and dry and they smelled like nothing. Most importantly, they didn't stink.

The real test would be how they smelled while out on a run. This test was a little trickier because I decided to do it while running in the cold on Sunday. About a mile into the run, I looked both ways to make sure the coast was clear, so to speak, and then I sniffed my top. Keep in mind my nose was cold and who knows how well my senses were working at that chilly point but, honestly, my top still smelled OK. Not like roses, but not like a stinky ol' gym towel either. The shirt smelled like nothing. And that's probably the goal.

All in all, I give the stuff a thumbs up. It's available at various retailers, and Amazon sells two bottles for $20.

Back to running: My legs felt a little tired yesterday. I stretched and used the foam roller (after I thoroughly enjoyed my enchilada, more guacamole than one person really should eat in a sitting, and a big honking margarita) so my legs feel fine today. I'll hit the treadmill for an easy run this evening and then speedwork tomorrow. Again on the 'mill. We're supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow. Bummer.

16 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great review... mmm guacamole :) yum.

Marcy said...

I am SO not looking forward to all the snow. GAH!

Good review . .I have to get mine done as well LOL

Diana said...

Good review. Not smelling is definately a good thing!

Sleeted here today. Totally sucky.

Denise said...

Everyone is raving about these detergents...I might have to give some a try. Or just stay stinky. I like stinky.

We're getting snow tonight, too. I was hoping for a blizzard b/c I could use a snow day tomorrow!

J said...

WE are supposed to get snow tonight too!! I tried the sports wash as well and noticed that it didn't have a smell to it! I haven't noticed any stinking yet!

BeachRunner said...

Nice review. They are saying 3 or 4 inches of snow down here by Wed morning. Followed by sleet and rain the rest of the day.

Run at work, during the day??!! Lucky hubby.

X-Country2 said...

Great review. I'm almost sold on the stuff. Almost. I just don't care about the smell of my clothes that much. :o)

Janice {Run Far} said...

I stink too. I am a big sweater and I stink. My clothes take on the smell and that is that. I can't get it out no matter what. I have gone through so many running tops. I am for sure going to buy some of this stuff, and try it for my self.

joyRuN said...

Mmmmm... detergent heaven ;)

I hope you were able to get your run in today with the snow. Ours turned to slush, & it got warm(ish), so the run wasn't too bad (except for soaking wet feet).

tfh said...

I think foam rollers really work best after at least one margarita. Actually, the same goes for doing laundry.

Lindsay said...

glad you were able to combat the stink! hope you were able to get your runs in somehow.

Anonymous said...

So I don't have to continue burning my workout clothes? I have been searching for a cheaper alternative! Thanks! :)

Lori said...

Thanks for the review. I'll have to look for some on my next visit home. Our workout clothes need it bad. We don't have hot water for washing clothes (which I do like to use for sweaty, germy stuff) here so I've started washing a load in vinegar and then in detergent. It seems to work pretty well.

Aron said...

YAY for non stinky clothes!!! looks like a lot of us will be smelling good for a little while at least :)

merathon said...

i NEED this stuff. i knew it was bad when i was wearing freshly washed clothes and working out on the spinbike in our family room and before i had even started to sweat, my husband walked into the room and said, "it smells like poo in here!" yeah-- that' can't be good!

Aileen said...

I use that stuff too! And have found that it works pretty well. The only thing I can compare it to is regular detergent, so yeah, there ya go.

Now I want Mexican food...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...