Thursday, January 1, 2009

Modest running goals.

I had some fairly modest running goals for 2008, in part because I was unsure what to expect after being off for most of 2007. For a while, I was just happy to be running. Then I decided I needed to focus. I started this blog and set some goals.

1. I started off with the simple goal of running consistently and competing in three races. Accomplished!

Yeah, not much of a stretch, I know, but I did it! Nothing like setting yourself up for success, huh? From mid-March on, I ran consistently (until I had to break because of my silly ankle injury this fall) and I ran three 5k races.

2. Mid-year, I added the goal of running a 5k in under 24 minutes. Accomplished!

I finished the Albany Race for the Cure in 23:27.

3. This fall, I decided to add to my goals. I added the very vague "run more" to my list and said I wanted to complete the 100 push up challenge. Accomplished and not.

I increased my mileage this fall (for the most part) so I guess you could say I ran more*. I wish I had been a little more specific. Lesson learned. I did say that I wanted to accomplish my goal by running in the morning (oh, so didn't happen) and going on more long runs (yup!), so I was specific with my tactics, just not with what more meant.

But, um, push ups. They didn't work out so well. I followed the program for what seemed like 10 years and never made it to week 6. Now, the failed challenge is hanging out there, mocking me every time I think about it. That alone might be reason enough to attempt it again this year. I need to quiet the mocking! I mean, really, who wants to be mocked by un-completed push ups? Not me, sir. Not me.

What will 2009 bring? I'm not entirely sure. For starters, I have no crystal ball so I can't predict the future. I do have a plan to run a marathon in May and two other races this spring. I would like to lay out some additional goals. But first, I have a sunny day to enjoy. My modest goal setting for 2009 will just have to wait.

Happy new year!

*I'm a wee bit happy to report that I ran 500 miles this year. Not a lot by some standards but I didn't run in January or February and I consider that 2008 was a building year. But don't call it a comeback. I been here for years. Rockin' my peers . . . No? I should leave 1991 in past? Hmm . . . you're probably right.

14 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

I just love your blog!
That said.....
I never did finish the 100 pushup challenge either, and I leave it on my blog sidebar hoping it will get me to try again. UGH

I am not a morning runner.. well not butt crack of dawn runner. I use to be, but in the last two years, realized I AM NOT a morning person. I usually run about 9ish, and then it is hard to find a sitter for my 3 year old. So, one of my goals this year is to get back into the 6 am running scene again. UGH.. not excited... If I go to the Gym and do it on the treadmill, does that count? =)

X-Country2 said...

What a great year! Running more and doing 3 races is for sure an accomplishment. Good luck in 2009.

J said...

Happy New Year!! 500 miles in a year with a little one running around too is such a great accomplishment! I hope that 2009 is an even better year for you!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Happy New Year and congrats on meeting your goals! All the best in 2009 :)

Marlene said...

From what I have heard/read, you are FAR from the only person not to complete the 100 push-up challenge. I'm nervous to even start!

Happy new Year and here's to achieving your '09 goals.

Diana said...

I think it's great that you updated and changed as the year went along. That's where a lot of people go wrong...by giving up and not continuting to challange themselves!

What great acomplishments! I hope that 09 will be just as good or even better.

BeachRunner said...

Happy New Year. I really enjoy reading your blog, Felice, and I wish you much happy running and all the best in 2009.

speedygeoff said...

Everybody does push-ups, but not everybody does chin-ups. So how about "the 2009 chin-up challenge"? Chin-ups are more fun than push-ups, you can see further, and you can set modesty aside when you share your successes!
I do enjoy reading your blog. And I am sure, given your good attitude, 2009 will be great!

Casey said...

100 push ups. I don't think I can do it. Maybe I'll make it my goal too...

Great job in 2008! 500 miles is fantastic!

Unknown said...

I never did the pushup challenge either, but my Trainer advised that there was no good reason for me to ever get past 3 sets of 20 pushups so I didn't sweat it.

I'm not at 3 sets of 20 yet, but I'll get there.

All the best to you in 2009!!

p.s. my verification word is "nothinha" - perhaps blogger is mocking me for not completing the 100 pushup challenge?!?!?

RunnerMom said...

I'm very excited we'll be training together for late-spring marathons. Yours is only a week after mine, so our training should be pretty close. Your goal is a bit loftier than mine, however....

I worked on the Push Up Challenge for many weeks as well. When I got to the point of doing 100 push ups in 5 sets, I called it a victory. I didn't care if they were consecutive without a break.

Anonymous said...

Nice job in 2008! I can't wait to read all about you accomplishments in 2009. Happy New Year.

Denise said...

Ah, the 100 push up challenge!! I can not for the life of me see how I'm ever going to do 100 in a row! I'm in week 3 now. If this is going to work the next 3 weeks better work miracles!!

congrats on a great 2008 and happy new year!

billdowis said...

congrats on making you goals for the year.. and congrats for at least trying the 100 push ups. I printed the 1st week and never even started. This is the year to stregthen my core though.

Great blog... I love reading about running and fitness and I have started following.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...