Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Marathon doubt.

Grrr . . . I was blindsided by self doubt this weekend. And I blame the cold.

Not the weather-related cold, although that hasn't helped. I blame the common cold. The sniffling, sneezing, feeling fluggy cold. The cold had me feeling like I couldn't do it. Couldn't run this weekend, which meant I would miss my long run. And that meant I couldn't keep to my schedule, which clearly meant I was done and would never run 26.2 miles in May. Or probably ever. I was just done.

Done in by the common cold.

After a nice little jog on Saturday, I had plans for my weekly long run on Sunday. I had 11 miles on the schedule. I woke on Sunday feeling like crud and that progressed throughout the day so I scratched my run and cross trained instead. I told myself that one day was no big deal and I would just run the 11 miles on Monday instead. That would have worked if I had felt better on Monday. But, no, I didn't. Another day of cross training. Another day convinced that I was done.

I started to plan my blog post. It is with deep regret . . . I'd get about that far and just shake my head. Not only could I not run, but I couldn't even begin to craft a creative way of letting you know. I was done.

I walked around the house with slumped shoulders. I couldn't tell if they were the result of my gloom or all the crazy traveling push-ups I did during two days of the 30 Day Shred: Level 3. It didn't matter. I was done.

Fast forward to this morning. I received notice that another of the eight marathon training books I had reserved at the library had come in. I bundled up my toddler and off we went to pick it up. Back home, I started to read the book and I realized that I am a big, honking dummy. I know that the only way a marathon training schedule works is if it is flexible enough to account for all that you can't plan for. Missing one long run will not ruin my plan. I know this. In fact, all of those push-ups and squats and what-nots will only make me stronger.

So, this evening I hit the treadmill for speedwork. That shook the remaining gloom out of my system and I think I am back on track. At least for now.

Back on track with tired legs. It feels good.

28 comments:

Abby said...

How old is your son? What an amazing thing to get to share with him!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Glad you were able to shake out the doubt... trust your training, you will do your marathon... :D

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I recently started reading your blog, and it is awesome! As for the marathon training, you have SO much time left before the race....plenty of time to play with your schedule - don't sweat it! I ran my first marathon in December, and missed my last TWO long runs because I got bronchitis. Still finished the marathon - not in the time I wanted, but I finished.

Keep up the great training, and expect some bumps along the way with the schedule. It'll be fine.

Jen :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I recently started reading your blog, and it is awesome! As for the marathon training, you have SO much time left before the race....plenty of time to play with your schedule - don't sweat it! I ran my first marathon in December, and missed my last TWO long runs because I got bronchitis. Still finished the marathon - not in the time I wanted, but I finished.

Keep up the great training, and expect some bumps along the way with the schedule. It'll be fine.

Jen :-)

Stacey said...

Your marathon isn't until May. You will be fine missing this long run. Glad you are back on track and feeling better!

Felice Devine said...

Abby -- he's 19 months old. And, yeah, you're right!

Abby said...

Duh, I know how old your son is (or at least how old-ish he is, given that you've proclaimed yourself fluent in toddler-ese.

Even if he didn't fully comprehend the magnitude of the day, still very cool to get to share it with him!

Aron said...

flexibility is definitely the most important but sometimes we do forget that... great job for remembering and picking yourself back up!!!

Julianne said...

Yay for being back on track. You just gotta get right back up on that treadmill. :-) Great job lady.

Unknown said...

glad you worked through the self doubt. you are right, one missed run won't ruin the plan. just keep with it best you can

Diana said...

I am so glad you were able to get rid of that doubt and do it your way! It won't be easy, but you can do this!
I hope your dang cold goes away soon!

Denise said...

You still have plenty of time...don't stress about it. You'll make up those days and they won't make a difference.

RunToTheFinish said...

boy do I know exactly how you feel...that was me when i hurt my knee, wooohhwasme life is over I'll never qualify. Yeah I think that running gives you that great runners high and sometimes lack of it creates a low. You're so dedicated though I don't think any of us ever doubted you could and would do it. Glad the book helped right things

Marcy said...

Oooohh girl you've got plenty of time. It's early too! I skipped out on 2 weeks of running early in training. You'll be back to it in NO time :-)

Candice said...

Way to stay on track and be flexible! That's what it's all about right?!

Marlene said...

I went through that SO many times! It's hard not to feel defeated when life gets in the way and you miss a run or two, but in your overall training, it won't make a difference. Glad you're feeling better and I hope that cold is gone for good!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I totally get on myself about missing a long run. I start thinking that if I miss even one, then I wont do as well in the race. (even after training and running 6 of them) Don't worry and stress about it to much. We all have set backs, we just have to keep on keepin on... go girl.

Vava said...

Good to hear you are feeling better. I am also on the mend from the damned common cold and feel your pain when this silly sickness gets in the way of running! You'll do great on the marathon for sure!

Anonymous said...

Way to get back on track. You have plenty of time. Flexibility is key, use the training plan as more of a guide. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

E said...

Glad to hear you are back on track!

Chic Runner said...

You are back on track and better than EVER!:) I had a week like that when training for my first 1/2 and I was SO scared I was screwed, but I came back better than ever and I think a little miss helped me out a lot! Glad you are feeling better though!

joyRuN said...

You're in good shape, girl! I WILL see you in May :)

Lindsay said...

i'm glad you 'snapped yourself out of it'! you definitely aren't behind, especially with all the cross training you did. it's still early on in the training and you definitely have to allow life to happen. glad you are feeling better and back on track.

healthy ashley said...

Sorry about the stinky run to put a damper in your run (I know how that is- I recently had a stomach bug get me down for a week!). I'm glad you were able to get over it and look at the whole big picture!

I Run for Fun said...

You will be fine, as far as marathon training goes. As for the cold, hope it disappears soon...good job on getting back on track!

Frayed Laces said...

I think you made the smart decision about the run!

Anonymous said...

I do proud of you for not quitting.
for taking those books being in as a sign to keep going.
we're here for you and loving you no matter what----Im only glad you didnt quit because, in your heart of hearts, it doesnt sound as though you really wanted to.

xo xo,

Miz.

The Laminator said...

Good thinking on your part.

Your crosstraining is probably better for you in the long run. Keep the faith. Hope you feel better soon so you can get back on schedule.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...